Looking for a family getaway in the Empire State? Travel pros from the AAA of Western and Central New York head you in the right direction with these five destinations you can drive to.
You will want to make reservations ahead of time for any overnight accommodations, of course, but also at some of the restaurants and attractions, since this is the summer of limited capacities and extra precautions in response to Covid-19.
Here are five top picks, with a few highlights and approximate drive times from Buffalo, courtesy AAA:
• Adirondacks (3 hours, 55 minutes to Old Forge) and Thousand Islands (3 hours, 42 minutes): These are places for great hotels and camping areas. Families will find plenty to do, including hiking, fishing and swimming.
• Saratoga Springs (4 hours, 34 minutes): The Sagamore Resort on Lake George in Bolton Landing is about a half-hour away from Saratoga Springs. It's popular, with family packages and lots of activities.
• Niagara Falls, N.Y. (25 minutes): For closer-to-home fun, where you can marvel at a natural wonder of the world.
• Finger Lakes (2-plus hours depending on the lake): Scenic drives, shopping, boating, swimming, wine and craft beer trails for the adults (drive responsibly).
• Chautauqua Lake (1 hour, 24 minutes): Boating, fishing, cycling, golfing, National Comedy Center in Jamestown.
This link takes you to road trips in some other parts of the country, but it also includes the Great Lakes region. Also, this website can help you determine which rest stops, gas stations and hotels are open along your route.
Need to get away?
Start exploring magnificent places with our weekly travel newsletter.