At first glance, you might think all the fuss around the Bisons' WCC Race (that's Wing, Cheese and Celery) speaks to one of those classic goofy minor-league promotions. With the buildup to Celery's final race Wednesday night growing all season, the characters in Buffalo's nightly mascot race have taken over from Buster Bison – or any of the players – as the most popular fi…
Through Thursday's games. Last week's rankings in parenthesis.
1. Los Angeles Dodgers. Rich Hill, meet Harvey Haddix. No reward for pitching a gem. (1)
2. Washington Nationals. Strasburg broke off some ridiculous curveballs during six shutout innings in Houston. (3)
3. Houston Astros. They got out of town before Harvey rolled in. (2)
4. Boston Red Sox. Sale's…
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred was working the crowd full of kids Sunday night in Williamsport, Pa., and had to know MLB hit a home run. The Little League Classic was about far more than the Pirates and Cardinals playing an official game in a heavily renovated Class A ballpark.
It was a daylong celebration of the game the big-league guys played as kids and the scenes ever…
Through Friday's games. Most recent rankings in parenthesis.
1. Los Angeles Dodgers. The rich get richer with nifty late-night addition of Mets' Granderson. (1)
2. Houston Astros. Keuchel (11-2) posts seven shutout innings in Oakland. (2)
3. Washington Nationals. GM Rizzo says they "dodged" a bullet with gruesome-looking Harper knee injury. (3)
4. Boston R…
Through Thursday's games. Most recent rankings in parenthesis.
1. Los Angeles Dodgers. To win 80th in Game No. 113 is remarkable. Page A-1 L.A. Times headline: "Best Dodgers Team Ever?" (2)
2. Houston Astros. Failed to augment pitching depth at deadline. (1)
3. Washington Nationals. Already a virtual…