Share this article

print logo
Gusto

Once upon a time I wouldn’t have considered writing a review of a restaurant that mostly exists as a takeout business. These days, I’m trying to include more restaurants that make up a larger part of families’ weekly diets. To me, they’re worth highlighting if they’re doing remarkable work. This week I’m here to detail what makes Rt. 16 Chicken Shack stand out. It does …

Food and Drink

Buffalo’s booming beer industry has dug a huge foothold in the local market. One of the best things about the region’s breweries is the innovative and delicious brews that continue to flow from taps, cans and bottles in a perpetual river of creativity. Because there are so many options, and brewmasters are constantly churning out original takes on traditional styles and…

Gusto

Of all the local towns you could wander through on a date, East Aurora's quaint, well-kept Main Street is the most idyllic backdrop. From its retro five-and-dime shop to the historic Roycroft Campus, history seeps from the village, generating an infectious timelessness that might even spill into your date. You'll know you're in the place when all of the signs -- written…

Gusto

From winter warmers, stouts and holiday ales to barleywines, Scotch Ales and porters, there are plenty of distinctive beer styles to spend some time with this time of year. These styles offer plenty of hearty flavors to combat Buffalo’s cold winter weather including roasted malts and barley, chocolate, toasted marshmallow, caramel, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, coffee, licori…

Gusto

New York Beer Project celebrates three years New York Beer Project (6933 S, Transit Road,, Lockport) will celebrate its third birthday with an anniversary party on Nov. 18. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. diners will be offered a complimentary champagne toast (for adults 21 and over) to go along with brunch. At 2 p.m., NYBP will release its Righteous Dudette Triple IPA (Indi…

Gusto

42 North plans own birthday party 42 North Brewing Company (25 Pine St., East Aurora) will celebrate its third birthday with special releases and a party at noon Oct. 20. Several beers will be released including an Apricot Sour, Brett Belgian Pale, Flanders Red Ale and 2016 Red Army Imperial Stout. Guests will also enjoy food from Rolf’s Artisan Wood-Fired Flatbread mo…

Gusto

A new collaborative beer crafted with local ingredients by nearly 20 brewers from across the region will be released in brewery taprooms as early as this weekend and in taverns and retailers early next week to help set up Buffalo Beer Week. Brewers pitched malts, hops and water into the mashtun at 12 Gates Brewing Company three weeks ago to make two batches of a session…

Food and Drink

The Buffalo Niagara Brewers Association has slated three major events for Farm to Pint Week, which recognizes the chain of production that local breweries regularly follow to produce their brews. The celebration runs from May 12-20 and features events at Pizza Plant in East Amherst, 42 North in East Aurora and Hamburg Brewing Company. Farm to Pint Expo at Pizza Plant i…

Food and Drink

New from 12 Gates 12 Gates Brewing Company (80 Earhart Drive, East Amherst) has released its annual spring seasonal, apricot wheat. The 4.8 percent ABV wheat beer is back on tap in the taproom, as well as distributed to area bars and restaurants. 12 Gates will also release its new German pilsner, Phoenix Pils, on April 20. The pilsner is a reformulated version of 1…

Food and Drink

New Scotch Ale from 42 North 42 North Brewing Company (25 Pine St., East Aurora) will release its bourbon barrel-aged Ben Nevis scotch ale on draft on March 3. The brewery’s 7 percent ABV (alcohol by volume) ale has a sweet caramel malt. It was aged for one month in freshly emptied Woodford Reserve and Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. No crowler or growler fills of this …