Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Stefon Diggs admits to concerns about NFL's plan to resume play

  • Updated
  • 0
Divisional Round - Minnesota Vikings v San Francisco 49ers (copy)

New Bills receiver Stefon Diggs has expressed concerns about the NFL season starting during a national pandemic

Support this work for $1 a month

Stefon Diggs admitted Tuesday he would be lying if he said he was comfortable with the NFL resuming operations amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The Buffalo Bills' new wide receiver said during a series of tweets that he misses and loves football, "but there’s so many unanswered questions with this upcoming season. I’d be lying if I said I was comfortable starting back up.”

Diggs also admitted that playing a game without fans would be "weird." It's looking increasingly likely that, if games are held, fans will not be able to attend.

Training camp is scheduled to open July 28. Diggs came to the Bills in a trade with the Minnesota Vikings in March. Buffalo General Manager Brandon Beane sent his first-round pick in April's draft (along with fifth- and sixth-round picks this year and a fourth-round pick next year) to the Vikings as part of a package for the 26-year-old receiver who last season set a career high with 1,130 receiving yards. Diggs finished with 63 catches and six touchdowns in 2019. He projects as the Bills' No. 1 receiver in 2020, giving the team a strong set of top three receivers along with John Brown and Cole Beasley.

Diggs had 102 catches for 1,021 yards and nine touchdowns in 2018, and for his career has 365 catches for 4,623 yards and 30 touchdowns.

His comments come after Akron native and Cleveland Browns center J.C. Tretter, the NFL Players Association president, wrote a letter questioning whether the league is putting player safety first as it devises a plan to play during a pandemic.

0 Comments

Concerned about COVID-19?

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

News Sports Reporter

I started at The Buffalo News in 2009, and have previously been honored as one of the top 10 beat writers in the country by the Associated Press Sports Editors for my coverage of the Bills. I live in Amherst with my wife, Melissa, and son, Elliott.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News