Orchard Park senior Joseph Bertola, the All-Western New York Runner of the Year in cross country, has signed with SUNY Stony Brook for cross country and indoor and outdoor track.
Bertola was the Section VI Class A champion in 16 minutes, 11.36 seconds as the Quakers won the team title and then was 23rd in the Class A race at the New York State Public High School Athletic Association championships (16:59.2).
Proud of my boy who, today, had his signing day and will be running XC indoor and outdoor track at @SBAthletics @stonybrook pic.twitter.com/t8358WLevZ— Dave Bertola (@DaveBertola) April 12, 2023
People are also reading…
He also finished first overall at the ECIC championships (15:52.66) in cross country.
During the indoor season this winter, he was second in the 1,600 meters at the Section VI state qualifier (4:27.28) and then was 18th at the state indoor championships with a personal-best 4:24.55.
He is the reigning Class A champion in outdoor track in the 1,600 meters and 3,200 meters.
OP tennis player Maya Clinard signed with RIT. Clinard reached the Section VI final in singles last fall as a senior and qualified for the New York State Public High School Athletic Association championships. As a junior, she and partner Kelly Barnes (now at St. Bonaventure) reached the state doubles final. Clinard also qualified for the state tournament in doubles in 2019 but with a different partner.
Two-time All-WNY outside hitter Jennifer Nicomento signed with Misericordia. She was named to Class AA all-state fourth team and finished with 230 kills, 218 digs and 34 aces as a senior.
In all, 17 Quakers took part in a ceremony Wednesday.
* Arianna Baumgart, Gannon, cheerleading.
* Simon Boncaldo, John Carroll, lacrosse.
* Ben Gocella, Brockport, football.
* Michael Gruin, Alfred, lacrosse.
* Sam Herle, Alred, lacrosse.
* Jordan Kern, St. John Fisher, volleyball.
* Mae Pawlikowski, Mount Union, lacrosse.
* Nicholas Politowski, St. John Fisher, football.
* Mia Popp, St. Bonaventure, rugby.
* Jakob Serrano, Roanoke, volleyball.
* Brody Stevens, Buffalo State, football.
* Peyton Switek, Canisius, rowing.
* Kelsey Walker, Alfred State, volleyball.
* Hannah Wierer, Geneseo, cross country.