Share this article

History

print logo
Attractions

Mummies have long been known for their haunting and mysterious images from a long-ago world. A British museum with a world-renowned collection of mummies and Egyptian artifacts is taking them on the road for the first time while the museum itself undergoes a renovation. And the first stop is Buffalo. "Golden Mummies of Egypt," which opens Saturday, offers a sophistic…

History

There wasn’t much going on at the northwest corner of Delaware Avenue and Bird (later Hertel) Street in 1882 when the Union Cemetery was created out of about 70 acres there. The massive sewer project that moved Cornelius Creek underground hadn’t been completed yet, and the creek still flowed along the street. Elmwood Avenue didn’t yet reach that far north. The area was …

History

Today the spot is a parking lot in the Larkin District. But in 1954, the $750,000 general alarm fire at the 10-story warehouse of the Bison Waste and Wiper Co. became the largest fire in Buffalo’s history. At one point, nearly 200 firefighters were battling the blaze, which raged out of control for seven hours, covering the city with “a choking pall of black smoke.”…

History

Sue Miller Young’s 1965 definitive history of the Town of Amherst says that the town was indirectly named for British North American Commander-in-Chief Lord Jeffery Amherst. Indirectly, because when the town was incorporated in 1818, she surmises the early town fathers were likely thinking of Amherst, Mass., – which was named after the British soldier and politician. …

History

It was a television commercial that ran thousands of times on the local TV stations we watched in Western New York, both Buffalo stations and channels that would come in via cable and antenna from Hamilton and Toronto. https://youtu.be/b6LKOFZHoog After grainy old film shows a nearly bald Bobby Hull skating in a Chicago Blackhawks uniform in the opening of the commer…

History

When talk of an official flag for the City of Buffalo came up in 1896, it was quickly scuttled by city fathers. “The Aldermen are coming round to the belief that the Stars and Stripes ought to be good enough for this city at any and all times,” reported the Courier. Buffalo’s first official flag, created in 1913, was a New York State flag with the city seal placed in…

History

When first built in the mid-1920s, the Riverside Theater on Tonawanda Street was billed as “Buffalo’s most beautiful neighborhood theater.” By 1962, Schine Enterprises, which owned the Riverside and a handful of other small movie houses, had an idea they thought could start an entertainment revolution – indoor skiing. When Ski-Dek opened in January, 1962, it was thought…

Buffalo

There's a new neighbor on one of North Buffalo's most storied streets, and already people are questioning whether it's going to be a good fit. The street is Tillinghast Place and the addition is a stone mansion, which looks like a majestic tribute to good workmanship and sophistication, according to some nearby residents, who called it a huge plus for the Parkside commu…

Buffalo

An Ohio Street restaurant will mark the anniversary of the infamous “Tewksbury Incident” at 1 p.m. Saturday. Local historian Gene Overdorf will lead the event at the Tewksbury Lodge, 249 Ohio St., with a recounting of the memorable night in January 1959 when the lake freighter Michael K. Tewksbury knocked down the Michigan Avenue bridge, destroyed businesses and created…

History

On a spot that is now a parking lot on Franklin Street, half a block south of Tupper Street, stood the Russell Bufalino Garage in the mid-1920s. That’s where Bufalino first learned the skills that the Joe Pesci character in “The Irishman” was able to use to help the Robert De Niro character get his truck and their lifelong friendship started. Long before Bufalino be…

History

Buffalo’s earliest parking ramps were built by hotels. In 1924, the Statler Hotel built the Statler Garage, north and across the street from the hotel at Delaware Avenue and Mohawk Street. Ads touted the fact that there was “nothing else like it in Buffalo.” The five-story structure held 500 cars for the convenience of hotel guests as well as patrons of nearby store…

History

It may be 227 years old, but the pipe-tomahawk that President George Washington gave to Seneca Chief Cornplanter still looks like it could chop some wood. The New York State Museum officially turned over the tomahawk to the Seneca Nation Thursday, where it will remain in the Onöhsagwë:de’ Cultural Center in Salamanca. The State Museum had the artifact from 1850 until…

History

After having spent 125 years “reaching great heights,” the Lower Main Street area was deemed a “dormant area” by the Buffalo Chamber of Commerce in 1929. [The Buffalo You Should Know: Before there was Canalside … ] Just as this week’s plan for the North Aud site were designed to part of the larger redevelopment of the whole area, the city's 1929 plans for the same ex…

History

By the time Judge Barbara Howe ordered the newsstand at Hertel and Delaware torn down in 1999, the newsstand business was a holdover from another era. “With his oversized cap, news apron and half-chewed cigar, Battaglia was a good-natured curmudgeon who was out daily in all kinds of weather to sell newspapers and magazines,” read The News obituary of Dominic Battagl…

Bills

History has long been a coaching tool for Marv Levy. He quoted Winston Churchill to his Buffalo Bills teams of the '80s and '90s. He invoked Michelangelo references and recited Scottish poetry. One time, to imprint in his players the importance of winning away games, he told an intense story about the defeat of Adolph Hitler’s evil military machine: The Nazis took…