Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Letter: Stop with the attacks on the petroleum industry

  • 0
Support this work for $1 a month

Have you seen your utility bill lately? The Jan. 19 letter, “‘Climate councils’ opinion ignores important factors” suggests that natural gas should be outlawed because of the emergence of renewable energy, wind and solar and the release of methane when fracking for natural gas. The letter writer is wrong.

The letter writer stated “that the job-creating, non-nuclear renewable energy sector already powers 30% of the electricity in New York.” The letter writer is misleading you. As of September 2021, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration, Hydroelectric generation accounted for 22% of electricity generated in New York. Non hydroelectric renewables (solar, wind) accounted for 6% of electricity generated in New York. Put those two generation sources together and you get 28%. Natural Gas accounted for 48% of generation followed by nuclear at 23%.

Yes, the letter writer was correct that methane is a hazard associated with natural gas systems. According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, it was responsible for 24% of the U.S. methane emissions in 2021. It was only best by enteric fermentation (cow farts) at 27%. Should we get rid of our pets and stop eating meat?

New York State should stop subsidizing renewable energy. The whole solar and wind generating industry is dependent on government subsidies and is rife with corruption. The industries would collapse if not for government funds. The Tesla plant in South Buffalo is a grand example. New York spent $950 million in constructing and tooling the plant for 1500 jobs. That’s $633,333.33 per job.

Wind farms and solar farms are eyesores. We are now being inundated with structural wind and solar farms destroying the beautiful landscape of Western New York. What was once open fields are now littered with solar panels and windfarms courtesy of the CCP.

New York State should unleash both the power of natural gas and the fracking industry.

Matthew Seebald

Eden

0 Comments

Catch the latest in Opinion

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News