Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Getaway driver in Anchor Bar shooting sentenced on drug charges

Getaway driver in Anchor Bar shooting sentenced on drug charges

Support this work for $1 a month

The man convicted of murder for driving the getaway car in the 2016 shooting of an Anchor Bar employee was sentenced to more than eight years in prison on federal drug and domestic violence charges.

Gregory Ramos, 29, of Buffalo, is serving time for his role in the shooting death of Freddie Dizon and for strangling a former girlfriend.

U.S. District  Judge Lawrence J. Vilardo sentenced Ramos to serve 101 months in prison, which is to run consecutively with the sentence of 20 years to life that he received on the murder charges.

Ramos was convicted of possessing with intent to distribute cocaine, possessing a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime and possessing a firearm by a person subject to a domestic violence order of protection, according to U.S. Attorney James P. Kennedy Jr.

On May 23, 2016, three days after Dizon's murder, Niagara Falls Police officers spotted Ramos' car on Pine Avenue and tried to stop it. As officers approached, Ramos sped away.

A high-speed chase ensued during which Ramos threw bags of cocaine and a gun from his car window, prosecutors said. The cocaine struck the windshield of the officers’ car on Hyde Park Avenue, while the gun struck and shattered the rear window of another driver’s vehicle.

The chase continued onto Grand Island, where Ramos abandoned his vehicle on Stony Point Road. He fled into a wooded area, and was taken into custody a short time later.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

  • Updated

Herminia Gonzalez said she has been waiting for justice since May 20, 2016. That’s the day her son, Freddie Dizon, was shot and killed in the Anchor Bar restaurant on Main Street. On Tuesday, Gonzalez said justice was finally — and fully — served. A Buffalo man who was the “getaway driver” in the fatal shooting of Dizon was

  • Updated

A Buffalo man who drove the getaway vehicle in a fatal 2016 shooting at the Anchor Bar was convicted Friday by a jury of second-degree murder and criminal possession of a weapon, according to the Erie County District Attorney’s Office. On May 20, 2016, Gregory Ramos, 27, and the shooter, Jorge Suarez, 27, also of Buffalo, drove to the

  • Updated

Jorge Suarez received the maximum possible sentence of 25 years to life in prison for hunting down Freddie Dizon on May 20, 2016, and shooting him while he was at work in the kitchen of the Anchor Bar. Suarez, 26, who continues to profess his innocence, was convicted earlier this month by an Erie County jury. Before sentencing Suarez

  • Updated

Gregory Ramos was sentenced in State Supreme Court Wednesday for a domestic violence conviction. But he has more court appearances ahead of him. He already was convicted in federal court on drug and firearms charges. And he faces a murder charge in Erie County Court. Ramos, 25, is accused of being the driver for the gunman in the fatal shooting

  • Updated

A suspect in the fatal shooting of an employee at the Anchor Bar pleaded guilty this week to charges in another case, the attempted strangulation of his girlfriend. Gregory Ramos, 25, pleaded guilty to the violent felony for an altercation on May 23. Suspected Anchor Bar getaway driver convicted on federal gun, drug charges Ramos, who was arrested that

  • Updated

The man accused of being the getaway driver in the slaying at the Anchor Bar last year was convicted in federal court this week on unrelated drug and weapons charges. A jury found Gregory “Prospect” Ramos, 25, of Buffalo guilty of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute, possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime,

  • Updated

An Erie County judge has dismissed murder charges against the man accused of driving the shooter to and from the scene when Freddie Dizon was killed at the Anchor Bar on May 20. Defendants Jorge L. Suarez, 26, and Gregory Ramos, 25, both appeared before Judge Thomas P. Franczyk last week for motions in their case. The judge ordered

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News