Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Brazilian who smuggled people across Niagara River imprisoned

Brazilian who smuggled people across Niagara River imprisoned

Support this work for $1 a month

A Brazilian man, who smuggled four people across the Niagara River from Canada to Grand Island in 2019, was sentenced Friday to 27 months in federal prison.

U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara imposed the sentence on Tiago Mello-Lima, 34, who was convicted of smuggling the illegals across the river in a boat on April 28, 2019, in exchange for a payment of $6,000 each.

Mello-Lima had a contact in the U.S. who picked up the four and took them to their final destinations in this country, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.

A Border Patrol investigation showed Mello-Lima, who was living in Canada, had smuggled six other people across the river between March and July 2019. Canadian authorities extradited Mello-Lima to the U.S. in March 2020.

Previously, co-defendant Renan Portela Bandeira de Souza also pleaded guilty to bringing undocumented people to the United States for commercial advantage or private financial gain and was sentenced by Arcara to 21 months in prison.

Sign up for our Crime & Courts newsletter

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

  • Updated

A Brazilian national residing in Toronto has been charged with attempting to smuggle people into the United States for financial gain or commercial advantage, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office. If convicted, Wanderson Dos Santos Freitas faces a mandatory minimum of three years in prison and a maximum of 10 years, prosecutors said. Dos Santos Feitas was among three

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News