Skip to main contentSkip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Niagara Falls murder suspect rejects plea offer, will go to trial

Niagara Falls murder suspect rejects plea offer, will go to trial

Support this work for $1 a month
Xavaier M. Crayton

Xavaier M. Crayton, 19, of Niagara Falls

Xavaier M. Crayton, charged with stabbing a man to death in Niagara Falls' Gluck Park last year, rejected a plea offer Thursday in Niagara County Court.

Crayton, 19, of the Falls, is scheduled for trial on a second-degree murder charge Feb. 22 in the slaying of Xaviar Travis, 19, on April 8 during a fight in the park at 16th Street and Weston Avenue.

Assistant District Attorney Doreen M. Hoffmann said Crayton had been offered a chance to plead guilty to first-degree manslaughter, but defense attorney Thearthur Duncan said Crayton would not enter that plea.

The maximum penalty for manslaughter is 25 years in prison, while the maximum for murder is 25 years to life.

Duncan and co-counsel Samuel Davis challenged the validity of search warrants used by police to obtain evidence in the case, contending that false information was used to obtain them.

County Judge Caroline A. Wojtaszek scheduled argument on whether a hearing is needed for Feb. 15.

The Buffalo News: Good Morning, Buffalo

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News