This series has taken Buffalo News photographers inside, outside, above and, on occasion, underneath local landmarks and to places most people do not have access to. We have explored everything from Parkside Candy and Silo City to the Giacomo in Niagara Falls and the Roycroft Campus in East Aurora. We have visited temples, churches, ships, theaters and more to bring you unique looks at Western New York's architectural wonders.
(1) update to this series since Updated
The Buffalo Museum of Science collection contains more than 700,000 specimens ranging across a broad range of sciences. Exhibits range from natural sciences and biodiversity to space exploration and everything in between, housed in a modern classical building that opened in
Kleinhans Music Hall, designed by the father and son team of Eliel and Eero Saarinen, was built between 1938 and 1940 to be the permanent home of the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. Its construction was funded in part by a $1 million gift from department store magnate Edward Kleinhans and in part with money from the Works Progress Administration. It ranks as a signature architectural achievement, complementing the curves of Frederick Law Omsted’s streetscape, suggesting the shape and form of a musical instrument and capturing Goethe’s notion of architecture as “frozen
Commissioned by lawyer Harlow Curtiss in the spring of 1912, the building that we know today as the Curtiss Hotel was originally home to a number of businesses, including the Kittinger Furniture Co. The building changed hands, and names, several times over the years before eventually being purchased and renovated by developer Mark D. Croce. It reopened as a boutique hotel in 2017. “Every room is unique,” Croce told The News at the time.
Located in Buffalo’s Central Park neighborhood, Blessed Trinity was completed in 1928 and is considered one of the best examples in the U.S. of the Lombard Romanesque architectural style of 12th century Northern Italy. Blessed Trinity’s elaborate and extensive terra-cotta touches, both inside and out, display thousands of Christian symbols. Other distinctive exterior features include a Spanish tile roof and handmade Harvard bricks of varying shapes and sizes set in dizzying patterns. A Buffalo landmark since 1977, the church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. — Jay Tokasz, News staff
The Richardson Olmsted Complex is nearing the home stretch of a massive restoration project which will bring new life to the historic campus with the new Hotel Henry and the new Buffalo Architecture Center. Three of the 11 buildings of the former Buffalo State Asylum for the Insane are being
These days, it’s called the Lewis J. Bennett School of Innovative Technology. But for the old-timers, this handsome, imposing building on a hill overlooking Main Street will always be known simply as “Bennett.” “Everyone knows where Bennett is on Main Street,” said Paul McDonnell, director of facilities, planning, design and construction for the Buffalo Public Schools. “It’s really become so much of a community icon.” Explore the Georgian revival-style building through this latest installment in our Closer Look series. – Jay
The Gothic Revival building that we know today as St. Paul’s Cathedral is actually the second incarnation of the church. The first, a wooden structure, was Buffalo’s first permanent house of worship, but it was sold and moved to another location in 1849. Today’s St. Paul’s — designed by Richard Upjohn, the architect of New York City’s Trinity Church, and consecrated in 1851 — was inspired by the 13th century churches of rural
The iconic Dun Building at 110 Pearl St. was designed by E.B. Green and W.S. Wicks and built in 1893. Because the building is so narrow, the masonry walls had to be made load-bearing to withstand the strong winds off Lake
Hutchinson-Central Technical High School, known to Buffalonians as “Hutch-Tech,” was founded in 1904 under the name Mechanics Arts High School and was housed in several locations around Buffalo until it relocated to this current site on South Elmwood Avenue in Buffalo. The building has served as a learning facility for students interested in building design and construction, commercial art, engineering, machine design and electrical careers. Portions of the “H” shaped structure were remodeled and repainted in 2007. The Buffalo public high school requires an entrance exam for admission.
The Closer Look photo gallery series continues with a look at Statler City. Built in 1923 near Niagara Square, it was once the grand hotel of Buffalo. Mark Croce, the building’s current owner, has restored three levels of the building to date, with more changes in
The Colored Musicians Club is the oldest running African-American club in the United States. In its heyday, it hosted jazz greats such as Dizzy Gillespie, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis and dozens more. It formed in 1918 and found its home at 145 Broadway St. in 1934. Jazz music can still be heard in the upper room which hasn’t changed much over the decades.
The Darwin Martin House in Buffalo was designed by renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright and completed in 1905 for Darwin Martin and his family. The multi-structure estate is a National Historic Landmark and receives visitors from around the world. Take a look inside through photos by The News’ Sharon
The Mayer family has dramatically grown their business from a small cider mill, to being one of the largest family-owned beverage bottling companies in the northeastern United States. Located in West Seneca, they are best known for the Cider Mill and Bakery that opened in
Daemen College’s Rosary Hall is an example of Italian Renaissance revival. It was built circa 1912 as a mansion for the Crouch family and sold to Rosary Hill College in 1948. Herbert Crouch was an insurance man. Architect was George Cary, who also designed the Buffalo History Museum and Pierce Arrow Administration Building and UB buildings. It is currently used for Admissions, Alumni and External Relations offices and a jewel in the Amherst
Take a visual tour of Graycliff, the lakefront estate designed and built by Frank Lloyd Wright for industrialist Darwin Martin and his wife, Isabelle. Built between 1926 and 1931, it was home to the Martin family until the Martins died in 1951. Now it’s owned by the Graycliff Conservancy, which is in the process of restoring the
The Saturn Club is one of Buffalo’s private social clubs. It was designed by architect and club member Duane Lyman in 1921 and is designated as a historic landmark. Although it’s rarely open to the public, you can take a closer look at the ornate details in the Delaware Avenue building through these images.
After Amtrak departed the East Side landmark, the art deco structure fell into disrepair, victimized by an inattentive city administration, poor private ownership, vandalism and the march of time. Today, the enormous complex – which includes a concourse, tower building and baggage building – has urgent repair needs. The cost of the repairs is estimated from tens of millions of dollars to upwards of $100 million. Through photos by The News’ Mark Mulville, see the parts of the terminal that aren’t often on view for the
The Millard Fillmore House sits at 24 Shearer Ave. in East Aurora. Fillmore constructed the house in 1826 and lived there with his wife, Abigail, until 1830, when they moved to a mansion on Delaware Avenue in Buffalo. Fillmore was the 13th president of the United States and served from 1850 to 1853. The East Aurora house is a National Historic Landmark and is open to tours from June to
“Silo City” was the name given to this Buffalo architectural treasure by its current owner, Rick Smith. It consists of three grain elevator silo buildings – the Perot Malting Elevator, the American Elevator and the Marine “A” Elevator – and other obsolete plants situated on Childs Street along the Buffalo River near downtown Buffalo. The historic facilities have a rich past of producing malt made from barley and wheat which supplied the brewing industry for decades. The centerpiece of the complex is the Perot Malting Co. elevator and semi-attached malting house, which got its start in 1907 and closed in 1963 after the company
This Tonawanda landmark was built in 1897 as an armory for the New York National Guard. In 2004, it was sold in a private auction to Mostafa Tanbakuchi, who has brought the building back to life as a full-service wedding and event
The Busti Grist Mill dates back to 1839 and used the waters of Conewango Creek to produce wheat flour, cornmeal, buckwheat flour and animal feed. Restored as a functioning mill through a community effort, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. The original wheel system can be seen on the bottom floor although the mill is now powered by electricity. It is open every third Sunday afternoon May through
This Catholic church began in 1852 as a small wooden “shanty” church, built with $300 that a Cuba priest collected from railroad workers. Construction of the current Gothic Revival church — named a minor basilica in 2017 by Pope Francis — started in 1913 under the supervision of architect Emile Ulhrich, who several years later was hired to design Our Lady of Victory in
The Fredonia Village Hall and Opera House, designed by architect Enoch Curtis in what has been described as “Queen Anne eclectic style,” was built for $28,960 and opened with great fanfare in 1891. Drama performances, vaudeville shows and light operas graced the stage in its early years, but it operated mostly as a neighborhood movie house from 1926 until it closed in 1981. A proposal to demolish it met with fierce community opposition, and the Fredonia Preservation Society was formed to lobby for its restoration. The work was completed in 1994. Among its features are a horseshoe-shaped balcony and a tin ceiling which replaced the water-damaged original frescoed plaster
The Buffalo Maritime Center at 90 Arthur St. in Buffalo celebrates the rich seafaring history of the Great Lakes as volunteers build, restore and repair wooden boats using traditional crafts. The center also has a foundry used to cast bronze marine hardware. An important part of the center’s mission is to pass along boat-building know-how to the younger generation, and high school students can be found learning to build canoes and other
Lockport is home to Locks 35 and 34, the two western-most locks on the Erie Canal. The pair of locks raise and lower boats a total of 49 feet up and down the Niagara Escarpment. The 105-year-old locks, which replaced Lockport’s original two sets of five stone locks, received a once-a-decade overhaul this spring to prepare for the opening of the 2019 navigation season on May 17.
The Broadway Theatre was once a place for movie theater splendor on the East Side. The Beaux-Arts theater was designed by Henry Spann, who designed the North Park Theatre. The 928-seat theater opened in 1915 at 512 Broadway as the Sattler Theatre. The name changed five years later, and it was known as Basil’s Broadway in later years. By the mid-1960s, the theater had become a house of worship. Since 1996, it has been empty and in decline. A partnership between the Western New York Minority Media Professionals and Ellicott Development is seeking to return the theater to its former
The history of the Dunkirk Lighthouse goes back to 1827, when the first version of it was built on Point Gratiot. The structure that replaced it in the 1870s incorporates bricks from the original lighthouse. In 1857, it was fitted with a Fresnel lens that shines light 27 miles out into Lake Erie. The structure was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as the Point Gratiot Lighthouse Complex.
Corpus Christi Catholic Church, at 199 Clark St., was built from 1907-1909 and is the seventh Polish parish established in Buffalo. Founded by the Rev. Hyacinth Fudzinski, a Franciscan friar from Czarnków, Poland, the church was built to serve the spiritual needs of the quickly growing Polish community living in the neighborhood on the East Side. The Franciscan Conventual Friars gave up the parish at the end of 2003. The church today is run by the Pauline Fathers, and still offers a Polish Mass at 11 a.m. Sundays. Father Michael Czyzewski is the
The Holland Land Office presided over the surveying and sale of the large tract of land known today as Western New York. The building that today is home to the museum was erected in 1815 under the management of Holland Land Co.’s Joseph Ellicott. Today, you can explore the Holland Land Office Museum, located at 131 W. Main St. in Batavia, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through
The Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village, formerly the Amherst Museum, is located on 35 acres along Tonawanda Creek Road in Amherst. The nonprofit organization is committed to preserving the history of the region. Costumed interpreters help guests learn about life in the 19th century as they tour the historic
Architect and artist Dennis Maher has transformed a church built in 1870 into an art gallery, wood shop, architecture studio and home of the Society for the Advancement of Construction Related Arts, which runs education programs to teach the building
Established by Polish immigrants in 1886, St. Adalbert Basilica has long been an iconic structure in what, for generations, was known as Polonia on Buffalo’s East Side. The church’s intricate stained-glass windows were imported from Germany and its magnificent altar has carved marble railings, sculpted angels above it and a detailed sculpture of the Last Supper adorned with gold mosaic tile along the base of the altar. The parish was designated a basilica in 1907 – the first in the United States to receive the designation. Today, Mass is celebrated in the basilica four times a year, including a Christmas Eve Mass with a live performance of the Christmas
In this Series
- 247 updates