Dear Students, Teachers and Parents:
The Buffalo News 24th Annual Editorial Cartoon Contest is now in session and open to all students in grades five through twelve.
Editorial cartoons use symbols, metaphors, and caricatures to explain complicated political, social, cultural, religious, and economic subjects – often with a humorous or emotional image. The cartoonist uses this message to try and persuade people to think the same way. Editorial cartoons express a wide spectrum of opinions – from extremely conservative to centrist to extremely liberal points of view. Styles are broadly diverse, as well.
The Buffalo News Editorial Cartoon Contest is not an art contest. It is a way for students to take an original idea or opinion and convey it in illustration form. This contest is designed to help you or your students:
- Recognize the power of political cartoons
- Interpret the elements of political cartoons
- Understand the use of satire, caricature, and irony
- Recognize the importance of having background information
- Understand relationships
- Analyze other cartoonists' techniques
- Make comparisons and contrasts supported by specific details
There are three categories for entry.
- The General category (three divisions by grade)
- The Best Local Cartoon for grades 5-12
- TR Site Informed Citizen Award - We are excited to announce that the TR Site will again be part of this year's contest and will present it's Informed Citizen Award! (grades 5-12) "Our hope is to encourage greater civic awareness and participation, especially among young people. The Informed Citizen Award recognizes students who examine issues of 1901 that continue to resonate today." - Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site
Click on the links to download copies of the informational letter, rules, and entry form. The deadline to enter this year's contest is April 27th.
Want to see what it takes to win? View last year's Editorial Cartoon Contest Winners here!
NEW THIS YEAR - TEACHER WORKSHOP With Adam Zyglis
Monday, March 19
4:30-7 p.m. @ the TR Site
Email news@TRsite.org to register and for information. *Limited Availability*
Click here to download the Editorial Cartooning Workshop Adam Zyglis presented to teachers at the TR Site on March 19th!