Plans for airport Chick-fil-A concessions have been pulled, Ryan says

Plans for airport Chick-fil-A concessions have been pulled, Ryan says

  • 0
Sean Ryan

Democrat Assemblyman Sean Ryan is running for state Senate in the 60th District. (Sharon Cantillon/News file photo)

Plans to open a Chick-fil-A at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport have been canceled, Assemblyman Sean Ryan said Friday.

Chick-fil-A had been announced as the anchor to an entirely new restaurant area in the airport, where concessionaire Delaware North is aiming for a new look.

"A publicly financed facility like the Buffalo Niagara International Airport is not the appropriate venue for a Chick-fil-A restaurant," said Ryan, who spoke against the project Thursday, on Friday. "I applaud the decision."

In a statement Thursday, Ryan said the owners of the Georgia restaurant chain have a long history of supporting and funding anti-LGBTQ organizations and noted the San Antonio City Council rejected a plan to open a Chick-fil-A at the San Antonio International Airport, because of the company's advocacy.

"I don't believe the leadership of the NFTA intends to help spread hate and discrimination, but allowing a corporation like Chick-fil-A to do business at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport will help to fund continued divisive anti-LGBTQ rhetoric," said Ryan, a Buffalo Democrat.

"New York is a welcoming state that celebrates diversity. The views of Chick-fil-A do not represent our state or the Western New York community, and businesses that support discrimination have no place operating in taxpayer-funded public facilities," Ryan added.

Amid protests, Chick-fil-A flies coop at Buffalo airport

The business news you need

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

  • Updated

Following are real estate transactions over $5,000 as listed in records of the Erie County clerk’s office for the week ending May 1. AKRON • 91 John St., Andrew J. Kelkenberg; Lily C. Kelkenberg to Ryan P. Buckley, $170,000. • 6 Fassett St., Daniel A. Borisov to Bethany E. Marshall; Bryan E. Marshall, $122,600. • 37 Bloomingdale, Anthony Cinotti

  • Updated

These past few weeks, the only question I’ve been asked more often than “When can we start going to garage sales again?” is “Can I have a garage sale?” The great news is, the state gave approval Wednesday for garage sales to return in Western New York — under new guidelines, of course. Here’s the scoop from Pamm Lent

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News