Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Norman S. Davis, 83, Niagara Mohawk retiree was 'treated as family' in nursing home

Norman S. Davis, 83, Niagara Mohawk retiree was 'treated as family' in nursing home

Oct. 9, 1936 – May 16, 2020

After his retirement from Niagara Mohawk, Norman S. Davis and his wife moved from Elma to Florida, then to the western shore of Lake Champlain, and finally to Clarence before failing health required him to move into Brothers of Mercy nursing home in Clarence 15 months ago.

There he found his final home.

Mr. Davis needed around-the-clock care for his dementia and diabetes, which became too difficult for his wife to provide. At Brothers of Mercy, she said, "He received extra fantastic care. It was absolutely beyond my wildest dreams; they were there every minute of the day for both of us."

His family hadn't been able to visit Mr. Davis since March 13, although he and his wife saw each other through a window on the 60th anniversary of their marriage on April 30, 1960, in Our Lady Help of Christians Church in Cheektowaga. They raised their family in Elma.

On Monday, May 11, Mr. Davis, who showed no symptoms, was tested for Covid-19. The next day, before the results arrived, he suffered a severe stroke. The next day, his Covid-19 test came back positive, but given his dire condition, Mr. Davis wasn't moved to another unit. Mrs. Davis is comforted that her husband spent his final days with the people who had cared for him for more than a year.

"They went over and above," his wife said. "We were treated as family."

Mr. Davis died on May 16. He was 83.

He was born and raised in Angola, and worked for more than 37 years in station construction for Niagara Mohawk, retiring as an electrician foreman. One of his final projects was the substation across from the Walden Galleria.

Mr. Davis served in the New York State National Guard from 1959 to 1965.

After his retirement, the Davises moved to Lakeland, Fla., in 1994. From there, they moved into the first home built at the Harmony Golf Club and Community in Port Kent, on the western shore of Lake Champlain. In July 2015, they returned to Clarence for medical care and to be close to family.

Before his health failed, Mr. Davis "was a tinkering person; he had to have something going on the workbench seven days a week," his wife said. He specialized in small electrical repairs, but was also skilled as a general handyman. "Anything that was around that had to be repaired, you did not get a new one, you fixed it," she said.

While they lived in Florida, the couple bought and completely renovated several homes before reselling them, Mrs. Davis said.

Mrs. Davis is annoyed by people who don't take precautions against Covid-19, including social distancing. "When are they going to wake up to how severe this is?" she asked. "Until you go through this, you have no idea."

Besides his wife, Mr. Davis is survived by two sons, Martin and Michael; a daughter, Sharon Kennedy; eight grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Story topics:

There are no comments - be the first to comment