The parade of companies laying off or furloughing workers because of the coronavirus pandemic and business shutdown continued into mid-April, with 28 more Western New York companies filing paperwork with the state in the past few weeks.
The companies who submitted notices of mass layoffs under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act range from manufacturers and retailers, to hotels and limousine companies, to home health care agencies and dentists. More than 1,000 workers are affected.
All cited the Covid-19 pandemic as the cause.
However, not all businesses are required to comply with the WARN Act, and many may simply not be doing so because of the suddenness of the closures, often mandated as part of Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo's New York PAUSE initiative.
The job cuts include:
- 104 employees of the Millennium Hotel Buffalo at 2040 Walden Ave. in Cheektowaga
- 93 out of 104 workers at Waxing Centers of Buffalo, located at 3211 Southwestern Blvd.
- 86 workers at furniture maker Fancher Chair Co. in Falconer, at 121 S. Work St.
- 73 employees of Sear Steakhouse at the Avant Building at 200 Delaware Ave.
- 72 workers at Heinrich Chevrolet at 5775 S. Transit Road in Lockport
- 71 employees at retailer Abercrombie & Fitch and related stores at Walden Galleria
- 60 employees of Eye Care and Vision Associates Ophthalmology at four sites, located at 932 Elmwood Ave., 3712 Southwestern Blvd. in Orchard Park, 6917 Plaza Drive in Niagara Falls and 811 Maple Road in Williamsville
- 57 employees at the Holiday Inn Buffalo International Airport at 4600 Genesee St. in Cheektowaga
- 52 workers at collections agency Capital Management Services at 698½ South Ogden St.
- 46 workers out of a workforce of 60 at facade manufacturer Gamma North, at 13595 Broadway in Alden
- 41 workers at Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. in Niagara Falls, at 5500 Goodyear Drive
- 41 employees of Fancee Limousine Service at 1 East Main St. in Falconer
- 38 employees of MJ Mechanical Services at 95 Pirson Parkway in Tonawanda
- 35 employees at the Friendly's Restaurant in Olean, at 2502 W. State St.
- 25 workers at Unicell Body Co., a fiberglass manufacturer, at 571 Howard St.
- 24 employees of the Hawthorn Suites Hotel at 8005 Sheridan Drive in Williamsville
- 22 employees of retailer Zara USA at Walden Galleria
- 19 employees of Gerber Collision and Glass at 1500 Niagara Falls Blvd. in Tonawanda
- 19 employees of Greyhound Lines at 181 Ellicott St.
- 17 employees at three locations of Venture Forthe Inc., a home health care agency. The offices are at 3900 Packard Road in Niagara Falls, 560 W. 3rd St. in Jamestown, 242 N. Union St. in Olean and 3343 Harlem Road in Cheektowaga
- 13 employees of Fairview USA, a hydraulic repair service at 3777 Commerce Court in Wheatfield
- An unspecified number at North American Dental Group's practice offices at 205 Linwood Ave., 3500 Sheridan Drive in Amherst, 17 Long Ave. in Hamburg, 3364 Southwestern Blvd. in Orchard Park, 4708 Transit Road in Depew, 6576 East Quaker Road in Orchard Park and 22 S. Buffalo St. Lower in Springville
- An unspecified number at Shults Auto Group at 181 E. Fairmount Ave. in Lakewood, including Ed Shults Chevrolet, Shults Nissan Subaru, Ed Shults Ford Lincoln, Shults Hyundai, Auto Credit of Jamestown, Shults Resale Center of Olean, Shults Resale Center and Shults Management Group.