Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Niagara County, in first update since Friday, adds 27 Covid-19 cases

The Niagara County Health Department added 27 newly confirmed Covid-19 cases to its online map Monday, bringing the county's total to 130.

However, the county also reported that 27 of the 130 patients have recovered.

Two county sources also said that two 1-year-olds who had the virus are among those who have recovered.

Public Health Director Daniel J. Stapleton had announced the infant patients during a televised county update March 30. Monday, Stapleton declined to comment on individual cases.

Monday's map update was the first since Friday.

Public Information Officer Kevin C. Schuler said 17 of the 103 patients currently suffering with the virus are hospitalized, while 86 are in isolation in their homes, Schuler said.

"If this isn't a surge, I don't know what is," Stapleton said during the county's Monday update.

He said he's certain the number of cases would be higher if the county had the capacity to test many people. Stapleton said he ordered 1,500 testing kits from the state and received 100, which are being used primarily for health care workers, first responders and pregnant women.

He remarked that six first responders were recently teted and all the tests were negative for the virus.

Seven of the 27 newly confirmed cases are in Niagara Falls, which now has 33 confirmed cases.

The City and Town of Lockport each gained three cases, bring the town's total to 13 and the city's to 12.

The totals grew by two cases each in North Tonawanda, Wheatfield, Lewiston and Cambria. The Town of Niagara added one case.

Also, the Village of Youngstown and the Town of Royalton now have their first confirmed cases of the virus. Wilson is now the only town in Niagara County with no confirmed cases.

"It doesn't mean they don't have positive cases. It just means people haven't been tested enough to come up with those positive cases yet," Stapleton said. "It's important that people know that it's here. We believe that. The virus has spread throughout Niagara County. The numbers are showing that and the numbers continue to go up every single day."

Meanwhile, despite rumors flying on social media over the weekend, County Legislature Chairwoman Rebecca J. Wydysh said no ventilators have been removed from any hospitals in Niagara County.

Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo said Friday he would send the National Guard upstate to take unused ventilators to New York City, but Wydysh said she checked with the Niagara County hospitals and found that hasn't happened so far.

"We're also not hearing anything from the state level about a plan to move those anytime in the foreseeable future," Wydysh said.

Story topics:

There are no comments - be the first to comment