Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Monsignor Martin schools again delay start of spring sports but remain hopeful

Whatever the governor says, the Monsignor Martin High School Athletic Association will follow.

That’s what association executive director Pete Schneider said Monday afternoon, shortly after Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s announcement that schools will now be closed until April 29.

Initially, schools were to be closed as part of the governor's PAUSE initiative until April 20 due to the coronavirus pandemic, with spring sports competition among the Catholic/private schools planned to resume a week later. Monday’s announcement means the Catholic schools would wait about another week to begin the sports season.

“We’re just going to go along with what the state tells us to do,” Schneider said. “We can’t start until we go back to school. We will be paused until the governor makes a decision on the school year. We figured it was coming. It was just a matter of letting the governor say it before we said it.

“Our hope is still to do something but it’s all contingent on if we get back to school and we’ll get back on the field.”

The New York State Public High School Athletic Association has previously announced it would provide an update on the status of spring sports championships by April 27. Cuomo’s announcement does not change the NYSPHSAA’s plan, communications director Chris Watson said Monday.

Dr. Robert Zayas, executive director of the NYSPHSAA, tweeted Monday: "June Regents canceled. Schools closed until April 29th. Signs of curve flattening. Lets stay optimistic. We need students in classrooms in order for them to participate in sports. Practicing social distancing increases the likelihood of spring sports being a reality."

Story topics: / / /

There are no comments - be the first to comment