Share this article

print logo

Two escape safely from two-alarm house fire in Ellington

Two people escaped safely as a two-alarm fire late Saturday afternoon caused extensive interior damage to a 1½-story home at 676 E. Main St. in the Chautauqua County hamlet of Ellington.

Ellington Fire Department Chief Steve Rexford said the two adults who were home at the time are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

Rexford said a call came at 5:47 p.m. for a blaze that was started by combustibles on a stove in the kitchen. He said the house sustained fire, heat, smoke and water damage. No dollar estimate of the damage was available.

Firefighters from Cherry Creek, Sinclairville, Kennedy, Conewango and Randolph assisted at the scene.

Rexford said that because Ellington does not have a municipal water system, water to fight the fire was drawn from a 20,000-gallon railroad tank car buried in the town park in the middle of the community.

The blaze was brought under control in about half an hour, Rexford said.

Story topics:

There are no comments - be the first to comment