We are asking readers to help choose our Buffalo News Prep Talk Athletes of the Week, sponsored by Sgroi Financial.
You can vote in the poll embedded below until noon Thursday.
Each Athlete of the Week winner will be eligible for the Athlete of the Year poll conducted in the spring.
To nominate an athlete, send your suggestions to email@example.com by Sunday night.
Here are the candidates:
• Robert Burkett, Frontier, swimming — Named Most Outstanding Performer at Section VI Championships after winning 100-yard butterfly (52.89 seconds) and 100 backstroke (58.75 seconds) titles with state-qualifying times.
• Hudson Johnson, Falconer, wrestling — Won 182-pound title and Most Outstanding Wrestler award at Section VI Division II championships. Class C/D champion has won all seven of his sectional matches by pin in the first period.
• Gage LaPlante, Starpoint, wrestling — Eighth grader was named Most Outstanding Wrestler at Section VI Division I championships after winning 99-pound title and qualify for states. Came from behind to win semifinal and final matches as third seed in weight class.
• Caleb Lesswing, St. Joe’s, wrestling — Won 285-pound title at Catholic High School Athletic Association championships with pinfall wins in the first period of semifinal and final matches.
• Declan Stiles, Orchard Park, bowling — Set school record with six-game series score of 1,448 (241.3 average) at Airport AMF Lanes to lead Quakers in winning second straight Section VI championship.
Note: Due to high volume of votes, updated results do not display in real time.
Story topics: Prep Talk Athlete of the Week