The Bills are locked in as the first wild card and fifth seed in the AFC playoffs after Saturday’s 24-17 loss to the New England Patriots.
The identity of Buffalo’s opponent on either Jan. 4 or 5 will have to wait until after Week 17.
The Houston Texans (10-5) clinched the AFC South with a 23-20 victory against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Saturday and are currently the fourth seed.
The Kansas City Chiefs (11-4) beat the Chicago Bears, 26-3, on Sunday night, and the third seed at the moment but could move to No. 2 if they beat the Los Angeles Chargers and the New England Patriots (12-3) lose to the Miami Dolphins.
If Houston and Kansas City finish with the same record, the Texans would be the third seed by virtue of a 31-24 win in Week 6.
Baltimore clinched the No. 1 seed with a win Sunday at Cleveland.
The Patriots can secure a bye and the No. 2 seed with a win or if Kansas City loses against the Chargers.
Here are the combinations for the No. 6 seed:
AFC Week 17 Scenarios for the #6 seed (ignoring ties):
TEN gets in:
- TEN win
- PIT loss + IND loss
PIT gets in:
- PIT win + TEN loss
- TEN loss + IND win + either OAK loss or PIT beats OAK in SOV
OAK gets in:
- OAK win + TEN loss + PIT loss + IND win + OAK beats PIT in SOV
— Joe Ferreira (@JoeNFL) December 23, 2019
Here are current seedings after Sunday's AFC games:
1. Baltimore (12-2), beat Cleveland, 31-15. Has clinched AFC North and No. 1 seed. Game remaining: vs. Steelers.
2. New England (12-3), beat Bills, 24-17. Has clinched AFC East. Game remaining: vs. Dolphins.
3. Kansas City (11-4), beat Chicago, 26-3. Has clinched the AFC West. Games remaining: vs. Chargers.
4. Houston (10-5), beat Tampa Bay, 23-20. Has clinched AFC South. Has tiebreaker against Chiefs for head-to-head win. Game remaining: vs. Titans.
5. Bills (10-5), lost to Patriots, 24-17. Have clinched a playoff berth and will be fifth seed. Game remaining: vs. Jets.
6. Pittsburgh (8-7), lost to New York Jets, 16-10. Game remaining: at Ravens. Has tiebreaker vs. Titans.
7. Tennessee (8-7), lost to New Orleans, 38-28. Game remaining: at Texans.
8. Indianapolis (7-8), beat Carolina, 38-6. Game remaining: at Jaguars.
9. Oakland (7-8), beat Chargers, 24-17. Game remaining: at Broncos. The Raiders need four things to happen to get the sixth seed: Raiders win, Steelers loss, Colts win, and then clinch on the strength of victory tiebreaker if one of Chicago, Detroit, Chargers or Patriots win.