Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Untended cooking sparks $160,000 blaze in Amherst

Food left unattended on a stove sparked a fire that caused $160,000 worth of damage to a home in Amherst, Snyder firefighters reported.

The fire started about 3:40 p.m. in a house at  179 N. Union Road. An occupant home at the time of the fire escaped safely. One firefighter suffered a minor injury while fighting the blaze but remained on the scene, Snyder Fire Department First Assistant Chief Tim Oliver reported.

Firefighters arrived to smoke and fire shooting out of the kitchen and extending toward the second floor of the wood-frame house but were able to contain most of the damage to the kitchen area, though other portions of the house sustained smoke and water damage, Oliver said.

Snyder firefighters said the fire caused $100,000 in structural damage to the residence and $60,000 to its contents.

The Williamsville and Eggertsville fire departments assisted.

There are no comments - be the first to comment