We are giving readers the opportunity to choose our Buffalo News Prep Talk Athletes of the Week, sponsored by Sgroi Financial.
You can vote in the poll embedded below until noon Thursday.
Each Athlete of the Week winner will be eligible for the Athlete of the Year poll conducted in the spring.
To nominate an athlete, send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night.
Here are this week's candidates:
- Jocelyn Fike, Niagara Wheatfield, lacrosse — Scored 15 goals in wins over North Tonawanda and Mount St. Mary to surpass 100 for her career.
- Torrie Jenkins, St. Mary’s, softball — Batted 9 for 13 with six extra-base hits and nine RBI in four wins for Lancers team ranked No. 1 in the state in Class C.
- Jada Kenner, Tapestry, track and field — Seventh grader set the top times in the state this season in winning the 100 meters (11.86 seconds) and 200 (24.16) at Williamsville South Invitational.
- Maddie Mazur, Lancaster, lacrosse — Tallied 11 goals, three assists and 22 draw victories in three games against Frontier, Orchard Park and Lake Shore.
- Eliza Podlas, Sacred Heart, tennis — Sophomore repeated as Monsignor Martin champion with 6-3, 6-1 victory over teammate Caroline Carson in final match.
Story topics: Prep Talk Athlete of the Week