We are giving readers the opportunity to choose our Buffalo News Prep Talk Athletes of the Week, sponsored by Sgroi Financial.
You can vote in the poll embedded below until noon Thursday.
Each Athlete of the Week winner will be eligible for the Athlete of the Year poll conducted in the spring.
To nominate an athlete, send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night.
Here are this week's candidates:
- Charlie Bruning, Roy-Hart, baseball — Struck out 22 batters over 15 shutout innings against Newfane and Medina to eclipse 200 career strikeouts. Hit walk-off home run to beat rival Medina.
- Donovan Nephew, Akron, lacrosse — Surpassed 100 goals for his career by scoring 12 times with three assists in wins over Iroquois and Niagara Wheatfield.
- Joel Nicholas, Canisius, track and field — Set track records and top times in Western New York this season in 100 (10.78 seconds) and 200 meters (22.05) at Williamsville South Invitational.
- Jude Ogilvie, Gow School, tennis — Claimed Monsignor Martin championship with three straight-set victories at Chestnut Ridge Park. Won 6-0, 6-0 in final match.
- Jon Surdej, Lancaster, track and field — Reigning Section VI shot put champion set personal record with mark of 64 feet, 7.75 inches at Williamsville South Invitational.
Story topics: Prep Talk Athlete of the Week