It was 2014 when Sherry Adamczyk was working at Wegmans at the time the JP Morgan Corporate Challenge came around.
The company was advertising the annual event, paying the bulk of the registration fee. Adamczyk only had to pay $10.
So she signed up.
She figured she’d run one race a month, something to keep her on track because she was new to running and wanted to maintain her fitness.
Little did she know, she’d catch the bug and become a member of the 100-races-in-a-year club.
“I signed up for the Corporate Challenge and decided I probably should start running to prepare for it,” Adamczyk said. “Each time, I went a little further. By the time I got to the Corporate Challenge, I did pretty well and signed up for another race.”
That first year, she did six races.
The next year, she did around 60.
“I got the bug,” Adamczyk said. “I met some friends through running and it became more of a social thing than anything else. It kept me motivated to keep running. Then, I met people who were running 100 races and I thought I’d never do that. That seems ridiculous.
“But then I started going to races on weekends and I started to see that it was doable. I kept going. Every weekend and it really became about the social aspect as well.”
In 2016, she ran 168 races then 161 in 2017.
One hundred races wasn’t the plan in 2018. She ran 12 races before she found out she was pregnant.
She decided to keep going until she couldn’t run anymore.
So she ended up running 112 races.
“Once I found out I was pregnant, I was definitely worried about having any ill effects on the baby,” Adamczyk. “But my doctor said I could keep going as long as I felt OK. I felt pretty good.
"I did what my body allowed me to do. I never pushed past the point where it was going to be an issue. A couple races, especially near the end of my pregnancy, I ended up doing more walk-running than running straight through, but I just modified my expectations.”
And she focused on the joy of each race.
“Every time at a race, I said this could be my last one,” Adamczyk said. “I didn’t sign up in advance for any race, because I never knew what might happen. Right up until the end, I thought any moment I could be done.”
That moment came on Dec. 11 when she had her third child, a girl.
Running is part of the family these days.
“I have two other kids, 10 years old and 8 years old, and they come to a lot of races with me,” Adamczyk said. “Sometimes they’ll do the kids races or go to the kids’ activities at the races. I’ve done so many races, I know which are good for children and which are not. My 10-year-old has done a couple of 5Ks and is in Girls on the Run, which instills that positive attitude about running, that it’s not about how fast or slow you are.”
Meanwhile, Adamczyk is already back on the road. She did the Disney Princess Half Marathon in February with her entire family along for the trip.
“I’m not doing as many races this year. The baby can’t be pushed in a stroller quite yet,” Adamczyk said. “I run at the Y on the treadmill and I did the Feel the Spirit 5K. I’m almost back to my normal time, which is exciting. Being able to run my entire pregnancy really helped with recovery and being able to run so soon afterwards.”
Wednesday, April 24
- Flatliner Series No. 4, 3 Miles, 6:15 p.m., Chestnut Ridge Park
Saturday, April 27
- Appleseed 5K, 10 a.m., Welch Field, Elm Street and Third Street, Westfield
- UB Dental School Run for Smiles, 10 a.m., UB South Campus
- Envirun, 5K, 10:30 a.m., Whirlpool State Park
- The 716 Mile, track mile, 11 a.m., UB Stadium Track
Sunday, April 28
- 23rd Annual BuffaloRunners 6-Hour Distance Classic, 6-Hour Ultra, 8 a.m., North of the Northtown Center, 1615 Amherst Manor Drive, Amherst
- WNY Maple Festival SAPS Race, 10K, 5K and 5K walk, 9 a.m., Franklinville Central School, 31 N. Main St., Franklinville
- 1891 Run, 5K, 9 a.m., 1891 Fredonia Opera House, 9 Church St., Fredonia
- Niagara Power 5K Run/Walk, 10 a.m., Gallagher Center, Niagara University
Thursday, May 2
- NFCSD Healthy Family Fun Run 5K, 6 p.m., Niagara Falls High School, 4455 Porter Road, Niagara Falls
Friday, May 3
- St. Martha Fiesta 5K Ole!, 6 p.m., St. Martha Parish/OLBS School, 10 French Road, Depew
Saturday, May 4
- GBTC Grand Island 10K, 9 a.m., Beaver Island State Park
- 25th Annual GBTC Grand Island Half Marathon, 9 a.m., Beaver Island State Park
- 7th Annual Mathletes Cindy Frank Memorial 5K Run/Walk, 9 a.m., 14 Holy Helpers, 1339 Indian Church Road, West Seneca
- Tortoise and the Hare, 5K, 9 a.m., MacKinnon Lodge, Chestnut Ridge Park, Orchard Park
- Allegany Adventure Runs, 6K, 13K, 27K, Trail, 9:30 a.m., Allegany State Park, Summit Trailhead Ski Lodge.
- DeSales Race for Fitness, 5K, 10 a.m., DeSales Catholic School, 6914 Chestnut Ridge Road, Lockport
Sunday, May 5
- Live Love Run, 5K, 9 a.m., Silver Creek Central School, 1 Dickinson St., Silver Creek
- AUT2Run for Autism Family 5K, 11 a.m., Como Lake Park, 2220 Como Park Blvd., Lancaster
- Running Buffalo 5K, 2 p.m., Clarence Town Park, 1 Town Place Park, Clarence
Friday, May 10
- Buffalo Greek 5K, 6:30 p.m., Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, 146 W. Utica St., Buffalo
Saturday, May 11
- Prendergast Run For Literacy, 5K, 9 a.m., James Prednergast Library, 509 Cherry St., Jamestown
- Nancy Price Memorial 5K, 10 a.m., Veteran's Park, Youngstown
- Happy Half, Half Marathon and 5K, 10 a.m., Holiday Valley Resort, 6557 Holiday Valley Road, Ellicottville
- Strides for Salem, 5K, 10 a.m., Niawanda Park, 250 Niagara St., Tonawanda
- WNY Heroes 5K, 10 a.m., Site of the former Hamilton Elementary School, 44 Westfall Drive, Tonanwanda
- I Have A Voice 5K, 3 p.m., Whirpool State Park, Robert Moses State Parkway, Niagara Falls, NY
Thursday, May 16
- Knox Farm Trail Run, 5 miles, 6:30 p.m., Knox Farm State Park, East Aurora
Friday, May 17
- Dye & Dash 5K, 6 p.m., Orchard Park Middle School, 60 S. Lincoln Ave., Orchard Park
- KMR Memorial Road March 5K Youth Race, 6 p.m., Como Lake Park, 2220 Como Park, Blvd., Lancaster. For youth ages 10-18 only.
- Brian Dugan Memorial Scholarship 5K Road Race, 6:30 p.m., Lincoln Arena, 1200 Parker Blvd., Tonawanda
- Glow Burg 5K, 8 p.m., 4 Main St., Frewsburg
Saturday, May 18
- LockRock Armed Forces Day 5K, 9 a.m., Lock 34 Bar & Grill, 80 Main St., Lockport
- 27th Annual Chris Griswold 5K Race, 10 a.m., Como Park, Lancaster
- SSPP's Charge of the Knights, 5K, 6 p.m., Saints Peter and Paul School Gym, 5480 Main St., Williamsville
Sunday, May 19
- Run Jimmy Run Charity 5K, 10 a.m., Sahlen Field, 275 Washington St., Buffalo
- Niagara Edge 5K, 10K, 10 a.m., Summit Healthplex, 6934 Williams Road, Niagara Falls
- Telegraph Road Race, 14 minutes 18 seconds, 2 p.m., Martin Luther King Jr. Park, 778 Best St. Buffalo
- 20th Annual Crouse 5K Challenge, 4 p.m., American Legion Post 409, 100 Legion Drive, Gowanda
- Color The Beach 5K, 4 p.m., Woodlawn Beach State Park, 3580 Lake Shore Road, Blasdell
Tuesday, May 21
- Dirt Devil Trail Series No. 1, 3 miles, Trail, 6:30 p.m., Sprague Brook Park, Glenwood
Saturday, May 25
- John Beishline 5K, 8:30 a.m., Hyatt Hotel, Two Fountain Plaza, Buffalo
Sunday, May 26
- Buffalo Marathon, Half Marathon, Heart-to-Heart Relay, 6:30 a.m., Hyatt Hotel, Two Fountain Plaza, Buffalo
Monday, May 27
- Project 33 Memorial Run, 6.63 miles, 10:30 a.m., Hamburg Town Park
Tuesday, May 28
- Dirt Devil Trail Series No. 2, 3 Miles, Trail, 6:30 p.m., Sprague Brook Park, Glenwood
Saturday, June 1
- 31st Annual Independent Health Foundation's Kids Run, 1.8 Miles, 9 a.m., Delaware Park, Colvin Boulevard and Amherst Street
- Run In The Country, 5K, 10 a.m., Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village & Museum, 3755 Tonawanda Creek Road, Amherst
- Run The 'Burg For Autism, 5K, 11 a.m., J.P. Fitzgerald's, 4236 Clark St., Hamburg
- Salmon Run, 5K, 5 p.m., Clark's Park-Wilson Harbor, 57 Harbor St., Wilson
Saturday, June 2
- Live.Laugh.LoveYourLungs, 5K, 8:30 a.m., Hoyt Lake, Delaware Park
- Girls On The Run 5K, 9:30 a.m., University at Buffalo Amherst/North Campus
Tuesday, June 4
- Dirt Devil Trail Series No. 3, 3 Miles, Trail, 6:30 p.m., Sprague Brook Park, Glenwood
- The Grace Run, 5K, 7 p.m., Christian Central Academy, 39 Academy St., Williamsville
Wednesday, June 5
- The Big Run 5K, Wilkeson Pointe, 225 Fuhrmann Blvd., Buffalo
Friday, June 7
Superhero Race & Wellness Walk, 5K, 6:30 p.m., St. George's Church, 2 Nottingham Terrace
Saturday, June 8
- Albion Strawberry Festival, 5K and 8K, 8 a.m., Orleans County Courthouse, Corner of State and Main streets, Albion
- Sea Lion Rescue Run, 5K, Whirlpool State Park & Aquarium of Niagara, 701 Whirpool St., Niagara Falls
- North Collins 5K Run and 1 Mile Family Fun Walk, 9 a.m., North Collins Jr-Sr High School, 2045 School St., North Collins
- Bergholz 5K, 9:30 a.m., Holy Ghost Lutheran Church and School, 6630 Luther St., Niagara Falls
- St. Mary of the Lake, 5K, 6:30 p.m., St. Mary of the Lake, 4737 Lake Shore Road, Hamburg
Sunday, June 9
- Boys on the Right Track 5K, 10 a.m., Woodlawn Beach State Park, 3580 Lakeshore Road, Blasdell
- FG III Memorial, 5K, 10:15 a.m., Lake Erie Beach Volunteer Fire Department, 9483 Lake Shore Road, Angola
- A Walk/Run/Stroll in Lauren's Shoes, 5K, 11 a.m., Wilkeson Point, 225 Fuhrmann Blvd., Buffalo
Tuesday, June 11
- Dirt Devil Trail Series No. 4, 3.5 Miles, Trail, 6:30 p.m., Sprague Brook Park, Glenwood
Thursday, June 13
- Buffalo J.P. Morgan Corporate Challenge, 6:25 p.m., 3.5 Miles, Delaware Park, Buffalo
Saturday, June 15
- The Janeen Kelly Memorial Run, 5K, 9 a.m., Mang Park, Kenmore
- Trooper Brinkerhoff 5K and 10K, 10 a.m., Boston Town Park
- 5th Annual James Metz Memorial Scholarship Run, 5K, 10 a.m., Keysa Park, Brady Avenue and Vanderberg Avenue, Lancaster
- Grassroots Gardens, 5K and 10K, 3 p.m., LaSalle Waterfront Park, NIagara Falls
Tuesday, June 18
Dirt Devil Trail Series No. 5, 3.5 Miles, Trail, 6:30 p.m., Sprague Brook Park, Glenwood
Thursday, June 20
- Knox Farm Trail Run, 5 Miles, 6:30 p.m., Knox Farm State Park, East Aurora
- West Seneca Community 5K, 6:30 p.m.Bi-Centennial Pool, 50 Legion Parkway, West Seneca
- Chase The Sun Summer Solstice 5K, 7:30 p.m., Nativity of Our Lord School, 26 Thorn Ave., Orchard Park
Friday, June 21
- St. Gregory The Great Great Race, 5K, 7 p.m., 100 St. Gregory Court, Amherst
Sunday, June 23
- Ashley May 5K, 10 a.m., Galanti Park, 230 Martin Rd., Lackawanna
Tuesday, June 25
- Dirt Devil Trail Series No. 6, 3.5-Miles, Trail, 6:30 p.m., Sprague Brook Park, Glenwood
Wednesday, June 26
- 25th Annual Loughran's Alumni Cup 5K Run, 7 p.m., Loughran's Bar & Restaurant, 4543 Main St., Snyder
Friday, June 28
- Seneca Hickory Stick 5K Summer Sizzler Race No. 1, 7 p.m., Seneca Hickory Stick Golf Club, 4560 Creek Road, Lewiston