We are giving readers the opportunity to choose our Buffalo News Prep Talk Athletes of the Week, sponsored by Sgroi Financial.
You can vote in the poll embedded below until noon Thursday.
Each Athlete of the Week winner will be eligible for the Athlete of the Year poll conducted in the spring.
To nominate an athlete, send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night.
Here are this week's candidates:
- Trey Gehen, St. Joe’s, lacrosse — Netted nine goals in three victories for unbeaten Marauders, highlighted by a sock trick in win at Irondequoit.
- Ryan Mellerski, Niagara Wheatfield, baseball — Pitched a no-hitter with 10 strikeouts in win over Lew-Port. Stuck out the side to earn save against North Tonawanda.
- Joe Pagano, Depew, baseball — Pitched a no-hitter in ECIC III opener win over Pioneer. Added three hits, an RBI and a run scored in defeat of Lake Shore.
- Brock Schneider, Hamburg, lacrosse — Scored three goals, including the winner with three seconds left in regulation, and had five assists in victory over Niagara Wheatfield. Added two goals and two assists against West Seneca West.
- Garrett Walker, West Seneca East, lacrosse — Sophomore tallied 15 goals, two assists and nine ground balls in 2-1 week for Trojans.
Story topics: Prep Talk Athlete of the Week