Looking for a home in Western New York? Here are some tips for your search.
1. Where to buy? Prioritize where you want to look, but also have alternative or secondary options. Some neighborhoods or communities are so hot that houses go quickly and prices soar out of reach.
2. Do your research. Look frequently at listings through various sources, both online and traditional. Consider going to open houses even before you’re ready, just to know what’s out there and what to expect. Know what you like and don’t like.
3. Get prequalified for a mortgage. Prequalified buyers know how much of a loan they will be able to take out, making it easier to budget, and sellers know prequalified buyers have a better chance of getting financed.
4. Be patient. Supply is short, so it may take a while to find the right house.
5. Act fast. If you find the house you like, don't dillydally. There are other buyers in the same boat as you.
6. Be prepared to pay. Don’t pay more than you have to, but you may have to pay more than you want to. Competition for the best houses, in the popular areas, is fierce.