We are giving readers the opportunity to choose our Buffalo News Prep Talk Athletes of the Week, sponsored by Sgroi Financial.
You can vote in the poll embedded below until noon Thursday.
Each Athlete of the Week winner will be eligible for the Athlete of the Year poll conducted in the spring.
To nominate an athlete, send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night.
Here are this week's candidates:
- Kahniya James, Lockport, track and field — Won Section VI title and qualified for NYSPHAA championships in the 55-meter dash with a time of 7.16 seconds.
- Christie McGee-Ross, Maryvale, basketball — Had 25 points, 14 rebounds, three assists, four blocks and three steals in sectional quarterfinal upset of Emerson.
- Sara Pfeiffer, Olean, basketball — Section VI scoring leader averaged 37 points in two sectional victories, highlighted by a 50-point performance.
- Natalia Surdej, Lancaster, track and field — Doubled at Section VI championships, winning the shot put (38 feet, 11.5 inches) and weight throw (52-2.75) events.
- Nagely Vazquez, Fredonia, basketball — Averaged 13 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks in two upset wins to lead Billies into Class B-1 semifinals.
Story topics: Prep Talk Athlete of the Week