At one point, the Amherst Sterling Dairy ran the largest milk delivery operation in Western New York.
Adam Cornelius sold the dairy to the Weckerle Family in 1936, four years after George and Henry Weckerle sold their family milk operation to the Dairyman’s League.
Based at Main and Kensington, the operation had grown when this photo was taken around 1946.
When Sterling Amherst merged with Dairylea in 1971, the home delivery operations maintained by Sterling served 35,000 customers in Erie and Niagara counties, but all production operations moved from the plant at 3939 Main St. to the old Jones-Rich Dairy at 70 E. Ferry St. in Buffalo.
The old Sterling building seen in the photo still stands at Main and Kensington.
Story topics: Buffalo in the '40s