Share this article

print logo

Jury in police brutality trial ends another day without verdict

After about 14 hours of deliberations, the jury deciding the fate of Buffalo Police Officer Corey Krug is showing few signs of how they might decide the case.

On Wednesday, the four-man, eight-woman panel ended talks shortly after noon without a verdict.

During the two-week trial that ended last week, the jury heard from each of the three men who claim Krug assaulted them without cause while on duty.

Krug, an 18-year veteran of the force, claims his use of force in each of the three incidents was justified and reasonable.

One of the few hints of what is happening behind the jury's closed doors came Tuesday when a handwritten note from the foreman indicated jurors were having difficulty reaching a unanimous decision.

It wasn't clear from the note if the foreman was referring to a specific charge or each of the four charges against Krug.

In 2015, a federal grand jury indicted Krug on three civil rights charges, one for each of the three incidents dating back more than eight years. He is also charged with failing to properly fill out a "use of force" form after one of the incidents.

Buffalo Police Officer Corey Krug.

After reviewing the note, U.S. District Judge Richard J. Arcara reminded jurors of the complexity of the case and the actual time spent on deliberations so far.

The jury began deliberating on Thursday of last week but, because of Monday's federal holiday and jurors leaving early for personal reasons, they have spent about 14 hours discussing the case.

Arcara also encouraged them to work through their difficulties.

Since deliberations began, the jury sent a note requesting a "read back" of testimony from the trial and a second note asking to review a WKBW-TV video of one of the three incidents.

A key piece of evidence, the video shows Krug using his nightstick to push Devin Ford, a Lackawanna man, onto a car and then the ground, and then using it to hit him in the leg.

Krug claims Ford was trying to grab the nightstick and that his use of force was justified.

The jury also heard contrasting tales of Krug's encounters with Marcus Worthy and Daniel Rashada, his other accusers.

Krug, if convicted, would face a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

There are no comments - be the first to comment