We are giving readers the opportunity to choose our Buffalo News Prep Talk Athletes of the Week, sponsored by Sgroi Financial.
You can vote in the poll embedded below until noon Thursday. The poll is now closed.
Each Athlete of the Week winner will be eligible for the Athlete of the Year poll conducted in the spring.
To nominate an athlete, send your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org by Sunday night.
Here are this week's candidates:
- Ben Harper, Kenmore East, swimming — Repeat winner in 50- and 100-meter freestyle races was also part of 200 free relay victory at Section VI championships, earning Most Outstanding Swimmer accolade.
- Ja’Vaughn Jones, Health Sciences, basketball — Sophomore had 24 points, 10 steals, 10 assists and six rebounds in Charter Cup clinching win over Tapestry.
- Jon Kurdziel, Tonawanda, bowling — Won Section VI individual championship, totaling 1,504 pins over six games with a high score of 287 in leading Warriors to Division II team title.
- Kegan Mancabelli, Orchard Park, track and field — Freshman pole vaulted 13 feet at Section VI team championships to set school record and reach state meet standard.
- Jaden Slaughter, City Honors, basketball — Sophomore averaged 30 points in two victories to help Centaurs capture Yale Cup II championship.
Story topics: Prep Talk Athlete of the Week