Ellicott Development Co., which is currently renovating the former Our Lady of Lourdes Church and erecting a six-story medical office building next to it, has completed its purchase of a pair of dead-end streets from the city as part of the multi-phase project.
The Buffalo-based developer owned by Carl and William Paladino paid $960,000 this week to acquire St. Paul Mall North and South, after the city agreed last July to give up the public roads, subject to a permanent easement to allow access for any utility work or use of fire hydrants.
The two small streets jut out west from Ellicott Street into the block between East North and Best streets but don't reach all the way to Main. They are part of the vision that the Paladinos have created for the area north of the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, although they have largely been used more for parking and staging for the developer's construction project.
The real estate company has accumulated about six acres between Ellicott and Main streets since it began acquiring properties on and around St. Paul Mall - including the former church itself - several years ago. It's now pursuing the first two phases of the project, including the $4 million redevelopment of the dilapidated old church and construction of the new office building.
Ellicott Development is converting the 1898-era church at 1115 Main into a mix of first-floor retail and restaurant space, 5,700 square feet of second-floor office space and three market-rate apartments on the third floor. Crews are constructing two additional floors within the open cathedral nave area to create a total of 14,000 square feet for the building.
Just to the south, the developer is constructing a six-story building with 180,000 square feet of retail and office space, plus one level of underground parking for 50 vehicles. That $45 million project will be connected to the church through a glass-enclosed "winter garden" courtyard between the structures.
The company also is proposing an additional eight-story building, with a four-story parking ramp beneath a 107-room hotel, at 1091 Main. That would be situated behind the church and office building, on a current parking lot, and would stretch back toward Ellicott Street. William Paladino said in September that he hopes to start work on that new proposal in the spring, with completion by September or October.