Share this article

print logo

Bad dog: treat-seeking canine suspected of sparking Eden house fire

A dog jumping up to get peanut butter from a stove may have turned on a burner and sparked a blaze that caused major damage to an Eden house Thursday, according to the Eden Volunteer Fire Company.

There were no injuries in the fire at 8644 Hammond Drive, and the family pets — two dogs and two cats — also escaped unharmed, firefighters said. No one was home at the time of the fire.

The call came in at 4:35 p.m., and when firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke coming from the eaves of the one-and-a-half story wood-frame house. Crews extinguished the kitchen fire, and the fire was placed under control 22 minutes into the incident.

Eden firefighters were assisted by mutual aid units from East Eden, Hamburg, Scranton, Evans Center and Newton Abbott volunteer fire companies and Eden EMS.

The cost of damage was not available Thursday, but firefighters said the family could not immediately return to the house.

There are no comments - be the first to comment