A refurbished torpedo – a tribute to a local man and 75 other submarine veterans who were prisoners of war during World War II – was unveiled Saturday outside the U.S.S. Croaker.
The torpedo at the Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park was installed to honor the men who served on the U.S.S. Grenadier, one of 52 submarines lost during the war.
The submarine was attacked by a Japanese plane on April 22, 1943, and its entire crew was taken prisoner and later starved and beaten. They were held until the end of the war, and four of the men died while in prison.
George Stauber, a Western New Yorker and a member of the local chapter of the U.S. Submarine Veterans, the group behind Saturday's tribute, was among the survivors.
The reburbished torpedo is the result of work donated by Niagara Coating Services of Niagara Falls and several other local companies.