Share this article

print logo

Ex-Bills guard Richie Incognito arrested for disorderly conduct, threats

Former Buffalo Bills guard Richie Incognito was released Tuesday after being arrested on misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and making threats, a Scottsdale, Ariz., police spokesman confirmed.

According to court documents, Incognito was released on $20,000 bond.

Incognito's arrest was first reported by Pro Football Talk.

TMZ released the audio from the 911 call in which a dispatcher said Incognito was "mad at employees there and wants to kill someone."


Richie Incognito (City of Scottsdale police)

The arrest stems from an incident Monday at Messinger Pinnacle Peak Mortuary. Incognito announced on Twitter on Sunday that his father had passed away.

Employees at the funeral home said Incognito punched caskets, throw things and at one point slammed na urn into a casket. A funeral home employee said Incognito and his family were having a dispute because the family did not want Incognito to attend the funeral.

Police said they responded to a disorderly conduct call at the mortuary, where Incognito was to make arrangement for his father.

"Incognito reportedly was upset with staff and began to damage property inside the business and shout at employees," police said. "At several points during his contact with staff, Incognito threatened to retrieve guns from his vehicle and return to shoot the employees. Once on scene, officers detained him as the incident was investigated." An employee told police that at one point Incognito made his hand into the shape of a gun and pointed it at her.

The police report said Incognito struggled to maintain coherent thoughts and focus on the conversation. "He appeared to ramble about numerous things that did not correlate," according to the report.

Police confirmed that a search was executed on his car and weapons were found and impounded. According to the police report, Incognito had three rifles and two handguns in his car. He told police that he had the necessary permits.

"Out of respect for the family and their privacy we are not going to comment at this time," a spokeswoman for the funeral home said.

Incognito, who agreed to a pay cut to remain with the Bills after three consecutive Pro Bowl appearances, suddenly retired in April after firing his agents via Twitter. He then asked the Bills to release him and remove him from the retired/reserve list so he could resume his career with another team. The Bills released him May 21, but he had not been signed by another team.

His hopes of landing with another team took a major hit when he was taken into custody in Florida after a dispute at a gym and spending three days at a mental hospital.

In July, Incognito announced that he was done with football and was putting his efforts behind a nonprofit organization based in Southern California that dealt with bullying. Incognito also acknowledged that he was bullied as a child.

"The last 14, 23 years this is who you've seen. Richard Incognito reporting for duty," he said. "Now that the NFL chapter has closed, it's behind me. Now we've got Boo2Bullying. Locked and loaded, buddy, let's go. I'm bringing all my passion straight from the NFL."

Police describe Richie Incognito as being in 'altered, paranoid state' during gym incident

Story topics:

There are no comments - be the first to comment