Share this article

print logo

Police: Two men hit by gunfire at home where grandmother, toddler were fatally shot

Two men were shot late Thursday night in front of the house where a grandmother and grandson were killed on July 2 when a gunman or gunmen opened fire on their family, Buffalo police said.

The victims of the latest shooting were in their 20s, police said.

One of the men was in serious condition, while the other was in stable condition in Erie County Medical Center, a police spokesman said Friday morning.

Buffalo Police also said in a tweet late Thursday that additional police patrols were ordered in the Grape Street area following Thursday night's shooting.

Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia confirmed that the house where the shooting occurred is the same house where a grandmother and her 2-year-old grandson were fatally shot July 2.

"We've had increased patrols going back several weeks since this (the July 2 shooting) occurred, but we've added even more patrols immediately. They'll be absolute dedicated patrols in and around that neighborhood," Gramaglia said late Thursday.

"It's a targeted shooting, with someone specific. The absolute tragedy occurred two, three weeks ago when the grandmother and infant child were killed. They, obviously, were not the intended targets, and we believe they (the perpetrators) went back for the intended target," he added.

At about 12:30 a.m. on July 2, Yvette Johnson, who had just been celebrating her 54th birthday with her family, was fatally shot, along with her 17-month-old grandson Kyrie Johnson in front of the grandmother's home on Grape Street, near the corner of Best Street in the Fruit Belt section of Buffalo. Two other men, including Devery Johnson, who is Yvette Johnson's son and Kyrie's father, was shot in the leg as was a second man in the same attack. Police called the quadruple shooting a "horrific, horrific crime" and implored with the public to come forward with information to help them catch the killers.

Police said Friday that the two men were injured in the July 2 attack were not the same men were shot Thursday night.

Neighbors said they heard gunshots coming from the direction of the house Thursday.

A makeshift memorial of lighted candles and balloons was positioned in front of the house Thursday, where police used flashlights to search for evidence in the shooting.

A bicycle lay on the ground in front of the house, along with a shoe and a backpack.

Ken Stephens, a Buffalo Peacemaker, spoke to reporters at the scene.

"We gotta take our city, we gotta take our community back ... Enough is enough," Stephens said.

"It's just a bunch of cowards, goin' around, shootin' up people's houses," he said. "If you see something, say something."

Woman, 17-month-old grandson fatally shot on porch: 'A horrific, horrific crime'


There are no comments - be the first to comment