Share this article

print logo

[BN] Blitz newsletter: Handicapping the Bills' 2018 QB battle

Today is Wednesday, which means Bills training camp starts tomorrow. Mark Gaughan caught you up on all 90 players who were invited and also handicapped the quarterback battle in the process.

He gives A.J. McCarron a 50 percent chance to start Week 1, Nathan Peterman 40 percent, and rookie Josh Allen just 10 percent.

"Fans at camp will ooh-ahh at his arm; 10 percent shot to start Day 1," Gaughan wrote of Allen.

Answers to frequently asked questions about Bills camp can be found here.

Get to know potential Bills starter AJ McCarron: The News' Jay Skurski spent a weekend in Mobile, Ala., this summer to learn about McCarron, who – as we've written previously – is thought to be the slight favorite to win the starting quarterback job out of camp. The entire story is worth your time, but I was struck by this detail: The scar on McCarron's head was caused by a childhood fishing accident that nearly ended his life. Doctors weren't optimistic. His mother thought about burying her 5-year-old son in his football all-star uniform. But McCarron made it, thanks to 58 stitches, eight metal plates and six screws.

"Today, more than two decades later, McCarron is constantly reminded of that day," Skurski wrote. "Whenever it gets cold, he says — pointing to a spot just below his left eye – a sharp pain shoots through his cheek where a screw was placed. His left eye will start twitching for no apparent reason."

We'll have to see if that affects him during football.

.

Bills add depth linebacker: You're allowed to have 90 players at camp, so you might as well use every spot. The Bills reached 90 on Tuesday by signing linebacker Keenan Robinson to give them more veteran LB depth.

Richie Incognito says NFL "chapter has closed": Richie Incognito is a free agent, but his playing days appear to be over. Incognito posted a series of Twitter videos this week discussing his new foray into an anti-bullying campaign, and mentioned in a video that the NFL chapter of his life has closed.

Jim Kelly donates custom-made motorcycle to Pro Football Hall of Fame: Talk about a unique gift. The bike was reportedly designed by Knievel Custom Cycles and includes a Jim Kelly Hall of Fame logo and is autographed by Evel Knievel and his son Robbie.

•••

Got feedback on this newsletter or our Bills coverage? Email Josh Barnett at jbarnett@buffnews.com. Find us on Facebook by clicking here and follow @BNBlitzNow on Twitter.

Want more [BN] Blitz? Sign up for a two-week free trial by clicking here.

There are no comments - be the first to comment