Extreme heat warnings have prompted area cities and towns to set up cooling centers. The Buffalo and Erie County Libraries system will open three additional air-conditioned branches on Saturday – Grand Island, Newstead and North Collins – as well as 11 libraries on Sunday, including the Central Library.
Family programs will be offered, and library cards are not required. A complete list can be found on the library system website, buffalolib.org
Cooling centers open Monday through Friday in Buffalo are:
• Autumnwood Senior Center, 1800 Clinton St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
• Delavan-Grider Community Center, 877 E. Delavan Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
• Edward Saunders Community Center, 2777 Bailey Ave., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Friends to the Elderly, Inc. (Dorothy Collier Center), 120 E. Utica St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• Gloria J. Parks Community Center, 3242 Main St., 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; 8 a.m. to noon Saturday.
• Northwest Community Center, 155 Lawn Ave., 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Old First Ward Community Center, 62 Republic St., 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
• Richmond Summer Senior Center, 337 Summer St., 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• Schiller Park Senior Center, 2057 Genesee St., 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
• Seneca Babcock Community Center, 1168 Seneca St., 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• West Side Community Services, 161 Vermont St., 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
• William-Emslie YMCA Senior Center, 585 William St., 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday; 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday.
In the City of Niagara Falls:
• John Duke Senior Center, 1201 Hyde Park Blvd., 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
• LaSalle Senior Center, 9501 Colvin Blvd., 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
In addition, these cooling centers will be open this weekend in Buffalo:
Autumnwood Senior Center, 1800 Clinton St., and the Richmond-Summer Senior Center, 337 Summer St., will be open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. The Broadway Market Senior Drop-In Center will be open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday only.