There's a lot less of Eric Wood these days.
The former Buffalo Bills center showed up at a Sunday night party at the Adam's Mark Hotel for Jim Kelly's annual celebrity golf tournament looking trim and more like someone who played tight end rather than on the offensive line.
Wood said he weighed about 250 pounds, well below his usual maximum playing weight of 305.
"I feel good," he said. "This is a comfortable weight for me."
The Bills officially released Wood May 31 after reaching an injury settlement with him. In January, Wood announced he no longer was able to play due to a disc issue in his neck that was revealed in a postseason examination.
Wood said Sunday night that he and the Bills reached a "mutual decision" that it would be best for him to be released before June 1, so that the balance of is contract – which had been extended through 2019 – would count against the team's salary cap this year rather than next year.
Wood, who said there was no animosity with the Bills, did not want to discuss much about the Jan. 29 press conference he scheduled at the Bills' fieldhouse to say his public goodbye as a player. He said it was planned to be an injury announcement but turned into a retirement announcement once word of his situation leaked. That led to it being an awkward event, with Wood reading a one-minute statement after a lengthy delay but taking no questions. Later, General Manager Brandon Beane explained Wood could neither be released nor placed on the retired list due to its impact on the Bills' salary cap.
Wood told reporters Monday that he hoped to have an official retirement ceremony at some point in the future. He said he had not decided what he would do next, although mentioned the possibility of pursuing media opportunities. He said he and the Bills have not yet had any conversations about a role with the team.