The Buffalo Bills Monday announced they have released guard Richie Incognito.
Incognito, 34, had been on their reserve/retired list after informing the team of his intention to walk away from the game in April.
The move gives Incognito something he requested from the Bills via Twitter last month. With his release, he becomes a free agent and is able to sign with any team.
ESPN's Adam Schefter tweeted that, according to a source, Incognito told the Bills he wants to resume his playing career.
Richie Incognito told the Bills he wants to unretire, per source, which is why Buffalo released him from its Reserve/Retired list. Bills and Incognito both moving on - Incognito with hope of playing somewhere else.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) May 21, 2018
In April, Incognito told The Buffalo News that health concerns were primarily why he no longer wished to play. He cited issues with his liver and kidneys that were discovered after he was examined by "some specialists" in Arizona, where he lives during the offseason.
Incognito also expressed anger over the fact the Bills cut his pay in March. He had his salary reduced by a reported $1.75 million to $4.7 million, which included a base salary of $3.65 million, roster bonus and $100,000 workout bonus.