Withdrawal from Iran deal will sow strife in Mideast
We are sad, angry, and not at all surprised that Donald Trump and his administration continue to act in an aggressive, arbitrary, untrustworthy, immoral, and destructive manner.
Trump’s withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal has:
• Shown the U.S.A. to be unreliable (which was already shown in the withdrawal from the Paris climate accords);
• Created more instability in a region already rife with conflict;
• Worked against a regime that has had a verified record of upholding its end of the agreement;
• Implicitly supported regimes that have clearly been committing war crimes (Saudi Arabia and Israel, whom we have been supporting in more explicit ways as well);
• Instigated strife amongst the Iranian people, who have shown good will to the U.S.A. through their compliance and diplomacy.
Make no mistake, however: Although President Trump has egregiously withdrawn the U.S. from the agreement on his own presidential authority, he is supported by an administration that is rife with war-mongering, hate-mongering, and working against the common good.
We applaud our colleagues and collaborators who are standing up for peace, harmony and justice – such as Code Pink, Voices for Creative Nonviolence, PeaceAction, the Upstate Coalition to Ground the Drones and End the Wars, and many more who are committed activists working for People and the Planet.
Mary Bisson, Board Chair
Vicki Ross, Executive Director
WNY Peace Center