May 7, 1923 – May 5, 2018
George W. Phillips, of Amherst, a retired service representative for a measuring instrument company, died May 5 in his home in Canterbury Woods, Amherst, two days before his 95th birthday.
Born in Germantown, Pa., he was a 1942 graduate of Wyoming Seminary, a college preparatory high school in Kingston, Pa., and later studied at the University at Buffalo’s Millard Fillmore College and Erie Community College, where he earned an associate’s degree in basic science engineering. He served in the Army Air Force in World War II.
He came to Buffalo in 1943 as a towerman and signalman for the Lehigh Valley Railroad, then joined electrical instrument maker Leeds & Northrup in 1948. He calibrated and repaired complex measuring instruments for Bethlehem Steel, the New York Power Authority, Corning Glass and other companies. He retired as a senior field engineer in 1983.
He was a longtime member of the University Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, where he and his wife, the former Elizabeth J. Lilley, were married in 1944. He served as deacon, trustee, Sunday school leader and president of the board. He also had been a member of Cleveland Heights Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, where he was a Scout leader and took part in the Couples Club.
He was a volunteer with Meals on Wheels.
Talented at telling jokes, he played piano, organ, clarinet and saxophone. He also did string art and enjoyed reading and traveling.
In addition to his wife, survivors include two sons, John R. and James L.; a daughter, Janice C. Gentz; a brother, Richard G.; four grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
A memorial service will be held at 4 p.m. Thursday, May 17 in Cleveland Heights Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, 4774 Union Road, Cheektowaga.