Share this article

print logo

D. James Langlois, 90, chemical engineer and former Lewiston Town Board member

Feb. 23, 1928 – April 21, 2018

Darwin James “Jim” Langlois, of Lewiston, an engineer with DuPont and a former Lewiston Town Board member, died April 21. He was 90.

Born in Muskegon, Mich., he was awarded the Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award in high school. He served in the Army in World War II and with the occupation forces in Tokyo, Japan.

He earned an associate’s degree in science from Muskegon Community College, then graduated from the University of Detroit with a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering.

At Detroit, he was president of his graduating class and was awarded membership in Tau Beta Pi, the national honorary engineering scholastic society; the Blue Key, the national honors activity society; and Sigma Phi Tau, the national honor society for philosophers.

He joined DuPont in 1952 and held various technical and management positions in Niagara Falls and other locations for 39 years. He was awarded three patents and developed many proprietary procedures for the company.

A 53-year resident of Lewiston, he was elected to the Town Board as a Republican in 1997, served two four-year terms and was an advocate of fiscal responsibility. He was instrumental in various projects, including the installation of pedestrian paths along River Road, Fifth Street and West Eddy Drive. He also helped guide fiscal negotiations during the New York Power Authority relicensing.

He was a past president of the Lewiston Kiwanis Club and served on the boards of Community Missions, the American Cancer Society and Junior Achievement.

Active in St. Peter’s Catholic Church, he was a past president of the Holy Name Society and the St. Vincent de Paul Society.

He received the Lewiston GOP Lifetime Public Service Award in 2009.

Survivors include his wife of 66 years, the former Margaret Christman; four daughters, Barbara, Ellen Quinn, Cecelia Byrne and Mary Genovese; a son, James; a brother, Alan; and nine grandchildren.

A Mass of Christian Burial was offered Thursday in St. Peter’s Church, 600 Center St., Lewiston.

There are no comments - be the first to comment