A 38-year-old mother and her 14-year-old son were found dead in their Orleans County home on Wednesday night where authorities were called to investigate a propane gas leak, according to the Orleans County Sheriff's Office.
Joan C. Gillman and Richard J. Gillman Jr. were found dead in an upstairs bedroom at a home on Center Road in Kendall, the Sheriff's Office said.
Firefighters from the Kendall Fire Department were called to the home at 2245 Center Road just before 7:30 p.m. after receiving a 911 call about a propane gas leak. They found the bodies and law enforcement responded to the scene.
"The Sheriff's Office learned that the electrical power had been turned off at the duplex a few days ago and a portable generator was being used along with some propane-powered appliances during this period of time," the Sheriff's Office said in a news release early Thursday.
The victims were taken to the Monroe County Medical Examiner's Office. The Sheriff's Office is continuing to investigate.