The University at Buffalo knows what its starters can do, so Friday night’s annual Blue & White Scrimmage offered others the opportunity to show Lance Leipold what they can do as well.
The third-year pilot seemed pleased afterwards.
UB wrapped up its spring practice session with its 11-on-11 situational scrimmage between the offense and defense.
“All in all, the way we got out and competed, I was very pleased,” head coach Lance Leipold said. “We knew going into it we weren’t going to use many of our starters a lot because they already played a lot of snaps for us over the last few years. We wanted to continue on building depth in some areas and I think we were able to accomplish that.”
Among the highlights from the scrimmage session at UB Stadium:
- Kevin Marks broke free up the middle for a 60-yard touchdown run to open the scoring.
- Adam Mitcheson connected on his only field-goal attempt. He made a 37-yard field goal – his only attempt of the night.
- Kadofi Wright recovered a fumble for the “D”.
- Drew Anderson hooked up with Isaiah King in the back of the end zone for a 5-yard scoring pass.
- Kyle Vantrease’s exceptional fade pass to Antonio Nunn in the corner for the 24-yard TD.
- Johnathan Hawkins rumbled up the gut on a 30-yard touchdown.
- Roy Baker returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown.
- Nick Gallo also had an interception, while Atunaisa Vainikolo recorded a sack.
UB returns to action in early August at preseason camp. The Bulls open Sept. 1 against Delaware State at UB Stadium.