Share this article

print logo

Bills place Richie Incognito on reserve/retired list

The Buffalo Bills made it official Thursday: Guard Richie Incognito has been placed on their reserve/retired list.

Incognito told The Buffalo News Tuesday that he was retiring as a player. He said he informed Bills owner Terry Pegula, general manager Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott of his decision that morning. Incognito also contacted the NFL Players Association of his intentions to walk away from the game after 11 seasons.

Richie Incognito says he's 'done' with football, cites health issues

Until Thursday, the Bills had said nothing publicly about Incognito's status.

Incognito, who turns 35 in July, joined the Bills as a free agent in 2015 and became a fixture at left guard with Pro Bowl selections in each of the past three seasons.

Last month, he took a pay cut from the Bills. Incognito told The News that, although he was unhappy about his salary reduction, his main reason for retiring was health. He said he saw specialists in Arizona who told him his liver and kidneys were being adversely impacted by the stress he was placing on them through a diet heavy in protein and carbohydrates.

NFLPA: Incognito 'informed us that he plans to retire'

Incognito entered the NFL in 2005, with the St. Louis Rams, as a third-round draft pick from Nebraska. He spent five seasons with them.

Incognito started all of the nine games that he played for the Rams in the 2009 season. However, for the second time that year, he lost his composure during a game and was benched by coach Steve Spagnuolo. It happened in the first half of a blowout loss against the Tennessee Titans on Dec. 13, when Incognito drew two 15-yard penalties for head-butting Titans players.

Two days later, the Rams waived him. The next day, he signed with the Bills and started the final three seasons at right guard. Although Incognito helped Fred Jackson rush for 212 yards against Indianapolis in the '09 season-finale, the Bills decided not to re-sign him and he joined the Miami Dolphins as a free agent.

Incognito played for the Dolphins from 2010 to 2013. On Nov. 3, 2013, the Dolphins suspended Incognito for misconduct related to a bullying scandal involving fellow offensive lineman Jonathan Martin. The suspension was lifted on Feb. 4, 2014.

Incognito was out of football through the 2014 season before the Bills gave him the chance to resume his playing career.

Between the departures of Incognito and center Eric Wood, whose retirement due to a neck injury has yet to become official, the Bills' offensive line will lose a combined 20 years of NFL experience.

There are no comments - be the first to comment