Share this article

print logo

Mike Harrington's NHL Power Rankings

Through Friday's games. Last week's rankings in parentheses.

1. Nashville Predators.  Set up for first division title and first Presidents' Trophy. (1)

2. Boston Bruins. Emerging as East favorite to get to the Cup final. (3)

3. Tampa Bay Lightning.  Looking like they may slip out of Atlantic title and into dangerous first-rounder with Leafs. (2)

4. Vegas Golden Knights.  Karlsson had six goals in 81 games last year for Blue Jackets. Has 41 goals this year. (4)

5. Winnipeg Jets. Electric shootout win over Bruins was one of the league's best games all season. (5)

6.  Toronto Maple Leafs.  After home winning streak slipped away, think they'll be ready for rematch with Sabres Monday night?  (6)

7. Washington Capitals.  Will win third straight Metro title but it's all about getting past the second round. (7)

8. San Jose Sharks. Kane's first 15 games: Fourteen points (9-5) with a plus-7 rating.  (8)

9. Minnesota Wild.  Closing in on third in Central, first-rounder with Winnipeg. (9)

10. Pittsburgh Penguins.  Brutal three-peat path with Columbus/Philly, Caps, Atlantic survivor. (10)

11. Los Angeles Kings.  Kopitar now a key contender on crowded Hart ballot. (12)

12. Columbus Blue Jackets.  Might be better off slipping to a wild-card to try luck against anybody else other than Pens.  (11)

13. Anaheim Ducks.  Favorite among Blues and Avs in three-team battle for two wild-card slots. (13)

14. St. Louis Blues.  Could be looking at Preds -- and quick exit -- in first round. (16)

15. Colorado Avalanche.  MacKinnon's Hart candidacy might hinge on them sneaking into playoffs (14).

16. Philadelphia Flyers.  Another blood battle with Pens in the offing? (15)

17. New Jersey Devils. In control to go from last in East to wild-card in one season.  (17)

18. Florida Panthers.  Six games left, three points back of Devils. (19)

19. Dallas Stars. Can't go 1-7-2 down the stretch. They're toast.  (18)

20. Calgary Flames. See Stars. Went 2-8-0. Extinguished at crunch time. (20)

21. Carolina Hurricanes.  Sabres appear safe: NHL's longest playoff drought (since 2009) will continue. (21)

22. New York Rangers.  Season sunk by just 12 road wins. Even Sabres have more. (22)

23. New York Islanders. Playing out string of season and perhaps Tavares' career in Long Island/Brooklyn. (23)

24. Edmonton Oilers.  No team turns a 3-0 lead into a 7-3 deficit faster than the Leaking Oil. (24)

25. Chicago Blackhawks.  Accountant-turned-disaster goalie Scott Foster saves the day in win over Jets. (25)

26. Detroit Red Wings.  What road losing streak? Sure didn't look like it here Thursday. (27)

27. Montreal Canadiens. How does GM Bergevin continue to survive? (26)

28. Vancouver Canucks. Tried catching Sabres but simply weren't bad enough. (30)

29. Ottawa Senators.  Good bet to fall to 30th. What happens to Karlsson if they win lottery? (28)

30. Arizona Coyotes. Hoping fast finish leads to Devils-like rise next season. (29)

31. Buffalo Sabres. So now we know: Looks like 18.5 percent chance of landing Dahlin -- and 81.5 percent of losing the lottery again. (31)

Story topics:

There are no comments - be the first to comment