Scholastic football fans in Western New York already knew Canisius would be facing Health Sciences/Maritime Charter Schools to open the 2018 season since Section VI released its master schedule last week.
Now the rest of the Crusaders' opponents have been unveiled, as Canisius released its football schedule via Twitter on Friday afternoon.
The major highlights of the nine-week regular season slate for the two-time defending Monsignor Martin High School Athletic Association champions:
- The Crusaders' first four games are all nonleague contests with old friend Aquinas of Rochester slated to visit the Stransky Complex in Week Three (Sept. 15, 1 p.m.)
- Canisius' league opener comes against longtime rival St. Joe's either Sept. 28 or 29 in Week Five. The clash will be a rematch of last year's playoff final.
- Instead of facing Pennsylvania power Cathedral Prep in Week Nine, Canisius meets Prep in Week Four at Prep/Villa Events Center in Erie.
- New to the schedule: The Erie, Pa., schools have formed one district team and it hosts Canisius on Oct. 5.
- The Crusaders' regular-season finale is p.m. Oct. 27 at Stransky against Cardinal O'Hara.
According to Msgr. Martin Executive Director Pete Schneider, most teams are still finalizing their respective schedules for the season. However he did email a mostly done schedule to the News. A reminder that the league split into two three teams divisions with Canisius, St. Joe's and St. Francis grouped in the large-schools division. Each of the six league members are guaranteed four Msgr. Martin games with crossovers against small-school division schools (Bishop Timon-St. Jude, Cardinal O'Hara and St. Mary's) already predetermined.
A certain number of league games could still be moved to New Era Field per broadcast agreement reached between the league and Pegula Sports Entertainment last year.
The highlights of the association's still-to-be-finished master schedule include:
- St. Joe's and St. Francis are slated to meet either Oct. 5 or 6.
- St. Mary's and Cardinal O'Hara meet in Week Five, either Sept. 28 or 29.
- St. Francis plays two of its first three on the road beginning with an Aug. 31 clash at McDowell (Pa.) in Erie but then follow that up by playing three of its next four at Polian Family Field. The Red Raiders' home opener is at 7 p.m Sept 7 against Erie (Pa.).
Saturday, Sept. 1: Health Sciences/WNY Maritime, 1 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 7: at McQuaid, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 15 Aquinas, 1 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 21 at Cathedral Prep. 7 p.m.
Sept. 28-29 St. Joe's, TBA
Friday, Oct. 5 at Erie, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 13, St. Mary's, 1 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 20, St. Francis, 1 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 27, Cardinal O'Hara
St. Francis schedule
Friday, Aug. 31 at McDowell (Pa.) 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 7 Erie (Pa.) 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 14 at Walsh Jesuit (Ohio) 7 p.m.
Sept. 21-22 Cardinal O'Hara, TBA
Sept. 28-29 V-University Prep
Oct. 5-6 at St. Joe's
Oct. 12-13 Aquinas
Oct. 20 at Canisius
Oct. 26-27 Bishop Timon-St. Jude