Auto dealer groups that have expanded into the Buffalo Niagara region from outside the area:
Some have come and gone:
- AutoNation: Florida-based group bought Ford dealership in Clarence in 1997, sold it in 2006.
- Zeigler: Michigan-based group bought a Honda dealership in Amherst in 2013, recently sold it to Northtown.
- Auction Direct USA: Rochester-based used car chain opened a store in Clarence in 2011, closed it in 2014.
Some have stayed:
- Lia: Albany-based group owns a Honda dealership in Clarence.
- Fuccillo: Adams-based group has Chevrolet, Hyundai and Toyota dealerships on Grand Island.
- Lithia: Oregon-based group bought Ray Laks Honda in Orchard Park and Ray Laks Acura in Amherst in January.
- James Cars: Dealer group with four upstate stores opened a Mitsubishi dealership in Hamburg.
One is in the works:
- CarMax: Virginia-based company plans used-car superstore in Amherst, opening date to be announced.