It's game day in KeyBank Center for the Rochester Americans as the Buffalo Sabres farm club comes to town to host the Syracuse Crunch. Here's what you need to know for today's 7 p.m. game:
1. The Amerks have a good record in Buffalo. It's the sixth straight year the Sabres' affiliate will play a game in KeyBank Center. And the trip has been kind to the Amerks. They have won their last three games in Buffalo with a 4-1-0-0 overall mark. Additionally, Rochester has held its opponent to two or fewer goals in its last four wins in KeyBank Center.
2. Rochester had a busy weekend. The Amerks are coming off a three-games-in-three-days set that included a 12-3 win over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in Blue Cross Arena Friday followed by two losses after regulation – a 1-0 overtime loss at Binghamton on Saturday and a 2-1 shootout loss to Binghamton on Sunday.
3. Odds of extra hockey are pretty high. Rochester leads the AHL in games decided after regulation with 23. The Amerks are 7-8 in overtime while going 2-6 in shootouts.
4. Blueline is providing offense. The Amerks are getting offense from the defensemen. Zach Redmond leads all Rochester blueliners with 32 points (10 goals, 22 assists) in 45 games, placing him fifth among defensemen in the league. Brendan Guhle is fourth in scoring among AHL rookie defensemen with 24 points (eight goals, 16 assists), with his eight goals ranking third in his class. Stuart Percy has tied career highs with four goals and 25 points.
5. Kyle Criscuolo picking up the scoring. Criscuolo scored his team-leading 15th goal on Sunday. In his last 10 games, he has 10 points (five goals, five assists) including a career-high four-point performance with two goals and two assists in that 12-3 blowout of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. He has four game-winning goals, while his 31 points ranks third among Amerks forwards.