Share this article

Open for business
Find out the latest updates from local businesses as our region reopens.
print logo

Reddy bikeshare saw big increase in 2017

The 200 red bikes seen across Buffalo were used a lot more in 2017, according to the Reddy bikeshare program.

The use-it-as-you-go bicycle network recorded 26,514 trips, up from the 11,986 in 2016.

Cyclists pedaled 47,386 miles last year, up from 17,614 in 2016.

“While the numbers from 2016 don’t reflect a full season, we are still incredibly excited about the interest and participation during the past year," said Jennifer White, Reddy bikeshare communications and marketing executive.

Among the highlights:

  • Most popular stations: Canalside, Bidwell Parkway and Delaware Park
  • Average trip distance: 2.25 miles
  • Longest trip: 49 miles, to Niagara Falls and back
  • Average calories burned: 680 calories
  • Most calories burned in one trip: more than 10,000
  • Most trips by a rider: 388
  • Average trip duration from annual pass holders: 33 minutes
  • Average trip duration from hourly and group pass holders: 43 minutes

“Our data also shows an increased number of trips during peak commute times, indicating a growing commuter base," White said. "The use of Reddy bikes to commute to and from work further indicates the system is being used as an extension of public transit and to replace trips in a personal vehicle.”

Independent Health, which sponsors Reddy bikeshare, is pleased with the public's interest in the program, particularly the use of the bikes for commuting to and from work, said Dr. Michael W. Cropp, president of the company.

“Not only is the bikeshare program helping our community to embrace fitness and a healthy lifestyle, it’s also very rewarding to see how the program is enhancing the quality of life for city residents,” Cropp said.

Reddy bikeshare’s partnerships with Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, M&T Bank, SUNY Buffalo State, Canisius College and the University at Buffalo contributed to the growing annual member and commuter population.

Research showed 68 percent of riders in 2017 were from Buffalo and the surrounding Western New York region. The remaining 32 percent were from college student populations and visitors to the city.

“Over the next few months, we will look to add several expansion locations for 2018, which will be announced at the beginning of the season,” White said.

For more information, visit

There are no comments - be the first to comment